Word Chains - Phonemic Awareness Exercises with Connected Phonics Activities
Are your English Learners, beginning readers, and/or your struggling readers in need of more systematic, implicit phonemic awareness and phonics instruction? Do they need to “Break the Code”? In other words, do they understand that the order of letters in a written word represents the order of sounds in a spoken word? Can they blend together the letter sounds, /b/ /i/ /g/ to produce the word, “big” both orally and in written form? If your answer is “NO”, then Word Chains will give them just what they need!
A Word Chain is a simple word game. The object of the game is to change one word into another by changing a letter, rhyme, or adding a letter to the existing word.
Example: cat ⇒ can ⇒ fan ⇒ fad
When students “play” with sounds and written words that connect to one another, they begin to understand the sound-symbol relationship; they begin to “Break the Code” in order to become successful readers. This product includes Phonemic Awareness Exercises in the form of Word Chains. A Word Chain is a group of words that are connected by changing one letter, blend, or Rime. Then, using the same word lists as the Phonemic Awareness Exercises, there are Phonics Activities where students write words as you provide guidance and immediate feedback, allowing your students to understand the connection between sounds they hear in words and the corresponding letters in written words.
In this packet, you will find phonemic awareness exercises and connected phonic activities for the most common short vowel word families as well as an Elkonin Sound Boxes sheet to use during Phonemic Awareness Exercises, and two versions of Word Chain sheets for students to write the words during Phonics Activities. Specifically, the packet includes the following exercise pages:
1. Short /a/ Words with: -at, -ad, -am, -an
2. Short /a/ Words with: -ap, -ack, -ash
3. Short /i/ Words with: -it, -in, -ig
4. Short /i/ Words with: -ick, -ing, -ink
5. Short /e/ Words with: -ed, -en, -est, -ell
6. Short /o/ Words with: -ock, -ob, -op, - ot
7. Short /u/ Words with: -uck, - ug, -ump
8. Mixed Short Vowels: /a/, /o/, /i/
9. Mixed Short Vowels: /e/, /i/, /u/
10. Mixed Short Vowels with Blends: bl, cl, tr, br, ck
11. Mixed Short Vowels with Blends: dr, pr, st, sp, sk, sl, tr, br
12. Mixed Short Vowels with Digraphs: th, sh, wh, ch