Word Detective Literacy Activity
Print and laminate the tray labels. Label trays or boxes and fill with your resources.
10 pages of tray labels with matching pictures including:
base 10 blocks
colouring in sheets
What to do:
• Give each student a clip board, a recording sheet, a pencil and a magnifying glass
• Tell students they are going to become a Word Detective.
• Their mission is to move (silently) around the
classroom and find words to write on their word
lists. They may wish to draw clues for the words and where they found them to jog their memory later on.
• Once they have found as many words as they can, they need to report back and read them to the teacher/parent helper.
• Points can be awarded for each word found, and copied neatly onto the recording sheet