Students sort 17 words by -ck, -ke, -k; and 17 words by -ce, -ve, -se as they practice spelling patterns. Then they generate sentences using these words and read sentences with these words. Assess their comprehension with visuals to match with the sentences. Some visuals depict different meanings for words to help expand vocabulary.
How to use these pages
• Cut out a set of words without the pictures
• Cut out a set of word strips with pictures
• Either have the student read the words or read them aloud.
• Student sorts the words by ending
• Make a chart with the Sorting Headers.
• Glue the sorts on the chart.
• Use the words with pictures to define words.
• Generate sentences using the words.
• Student reads sentences.
• Use the sheets to match sentences with words to check comprehension of words and sentences. Use the word/picture strips for a reference, if needed.
• Students fill in the blanks with target words in sentence context.
• Select pages based on the skill level of the students. In the first set, students add the ending sound to the target words.
• The second set requires students to recall the word and spell it without reference.
• If possible, use all the pages in this packet as a unit. Spend time introducing the words, how they are spelled, what they mean. Then practice using them and recalling them from memory to complete sentences.
• Dictate words in the spelling list to check spelling knowledge.
• Throughout the day, use the vocabulary in regular conversation whenever possible, and in writing across subjects.
Sets also available for sale separately.
Words Sorts With Visuals -ck, -ke, -k
Words Sorts With Visuals -ce, -se, -ve