PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Learning word families is fun and helps build the confidence of even your poorest readers.
• Are you looking for fun and engaging and easy to implement word family activities?
• Do you want your kids to learn how to combine individual phonemes together to create meaningful words?
• Do you want to have an abundance of word family center activities that are fun and motivating and incorporate a multisensory approach?
• Do you want your kids to love interactive activities like play dough and letter tiles, posters and games, interactive worksheets that really get them excited about reading?
These activities were designed to help my struggling readers who were becoming frustrated with their difficulties learning sight words. I needed to give their confidence a boost because once young children label themselves as a poor reader it is so much harder to break that thought pattern. Seeing their excitement when they realize that if they can read the chunk ‘at’ they can also read cat, bat and rat’ is priceless!
Want to see what's in a single word family pack? Try the free ad word family pack by clicking here.
Here’s why other teachers LOVE these activities:
“I am so excited to use this in my classroom!! It was like Christmas morning when I found your resource! Thank you so much for spending the time to make it. My students with exceptionalities will definitely benefit from all of the great applications this bundle includes. THANK YOU!” - Jennifer Soos
“What an amazing set! This will give my students lots of word work choices for centers. I know they are going to love it! Thank you.” - Kathie G
“Use this all the time as part of my word work center. Kids love the activities. Thanks.” - Shelly Johnson
Here’s why students LOVE these activities:
• They get to use play dough, wiki sticks, letter tiles – lots of hands on equipment.
• They can play reading games with their friends.
• They get a wide variety of activities to use.
• The directions are easy to follow.
The following 19 word families are covered: ad, ag, am, an, ap, at, ed, en, et, ig, in, ip, it, og, op, ot, ub, ug, and un. Introduce one each week.
This packet contains:
• 19 word family posters -- Use the wall posters as a wall display or bind the posters together to use when doing whole class or group work. Recording sheets are included to use with the posters.
• 19 playdough mats – These have kid friendly instruction cards to use with either playdough or wikki sticks.
• 19 word-picture match cards – Picture match cards can be used as both an individual activity and a group game.
• 55 board games - This set of games helps reinforce each short vowel group. (A pack of word family games are also available separately Word Families - 36 word family games)
• 114 worksheets - 6 for each word family
• Word sorts – Title cards and recording sheets for each word family is provided.
• Flash cards - Use as a wall display using only CVC or both CVC and CCVC words. The cards can be combined to make a flip book, used in the board game ‘Snap’, in the word sort or in the game ‘Memory Match’ (kid friendly instructions included).
• Jigsaw puzzles - Children can use the jigsaw puzzles as both an individual activity and a group game. Recording sheets are included for children to use after making the jigsaws.
• Word family Shake Up - an individual or group activity (instructions included for both)
• Suggestions and instructions and recording sheets (if appropriate for other games and activities
• “Which Word Won” – use as either an individual activity or a group game.
• Full instructions for use
This is the bundled set of word families. Each word family set can be purchased separately.
Become a follower and take advantage of my Early Bird Specials, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Would you like to receive TPT credit to use on future purchases? Just go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.