Do your students practice with word family long vowel patterns? Here's an easy ready-to-print resource!
This comprehensive pack of thirty printable Word Family activities provide independent practice for reading and phonics instruction for Kindergarten, first grade or second grade! Word families use onset and rime (beginning consonants and word bases) to help young readers apply knowledge of phoneme-grapheme correspondence to sound out words. These NO PREP activities are ready to print and use in a center, as part of a mini-lesson, for independent practice, or for extra practice at home. These printables can also be complied to create a student workbook. The mixed practice worksheets that are included may be used for assessment. Related Common Core standards are also included.
This long vowels pack includes five different worksheets for each of the following word bases:
_ake _eep _ine _one _ue
1. Trace and write - Students trace the word, then trace and write missing letters to continue practicing the word in each row. The word is written four times across the row.
2. Write the Word Base — Students write the word base (rime) after a beginning letter (onset) to make a word then copy the word on the writing line.
3. Cut and Paste — Students cut out consonants and paste a beginning letter (onset) next to the word base (rime) then copy the word on the writing line.
4. Unscramble the Word — Students write letters in the correct order to make a rhyming word. A list of words is included on the worksheet for reference.
5. Word Search — Students find and circle rhyming words on a word search puzzle then write them on writing lines and check off on a list. All words are placed horizontally in the puzzle to reinforce left-right progression without having to look vertically or diagonally.
There are an additional five worksheets that include mixed word bases for more challenging practice or assessment:
1. Trace and Match - Students trace the word and draw a line to match it to the picture.
2. Write the Word - Students write the word that corresponds to the picture.
3. Write Rhyming Words - Students must think and write three words that rhyme with the picture. The picture word is not given to provide more challenge.
4. Word Ladder - Students start with a word at the bottom of the ladder and follow directions to change one letter and write the new word until the final word is written at the top of the ladder. This is a beginning version of a word ladder puzzle.
5. Word Sort - Students cut words, sort, and paste them on a house with their word family.
Here is a list of words used in this set of worksheets:
_ake: bake, cake, fake, Jake, lake, make, rake, take, wake, brake
_eep: beep, deep, jeep, keep, peep, weep, creep, sheep, sleep, sweep
_ine: dine, fine, line, mine, nine, pine, vine, shine, spine, whine
_one: bone, cone, lone, tone, zone, clone, phone, shone, stone, throne
_ue: cue, due, hue, Sue, blue, clue, glue, true
The sample images show the title page and images to show the types of printable activities included. Download the preview to see each page in greater detail.
ELA Common Core Standards covered:
K.RFS.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
a. Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant.
b. Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
1.RFS.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
a. Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
c. Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
2.RFS.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
a. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
b. Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
You may also be interested in the following companion product:
Word Family PowerPoints Bundle of 5 for K 1st or 2nd
This companion set of PowerPoint presentations, one for each of the word bases in this worksheet set, will support your students in sounding out these words.
After purchase, please remember to leave feedback to get your TpT points that will give you a credit on future purchases!
Thank you so much for stopping by!