Build your students’ spelling and phonics skills with these fun, engaging “If I Can Spell…” worksheets. Each worksheet provides a focus word and picture clue that students use to make and write five other words in that word family. The worksheets cover 120+ word families and are perfect for phonics instruction or literacy centers.
Click on the PREVIEW to learn more and see lists of all the word family words!
This resource is a BUNDLE of the following products that may be purchased individually:
- 24 short vowel CVC word families
- 32 CVCC word families
- 27 long vowel CVCe word families
- 40 vowel team word families
Tell Me More About the Worksheets!
- Students cut out the letters at the bottom of the page and glue them in front of the stems to make new words. Not all letters are used.
- Students write the new words.
- They build/make the words or draw pictures to illustrate them.
What Materials Can My Students Use to Make the Words?
The third column of each worksheet has students make or draw the word. Students might make the words using:
- Letter cubes, tiles or beads
- Alphabet stickers
- Letters cut from magazines
- Alphabet stamps
You might choose for students to only use one method for the “Make or Draw It” column or let them use several.
How Do I Use These in My Classroom?
- Whole class or small group instruction
- Literacy center
- Write and Wipe activity: Glue a worksheet to each side of a piece of construction paper. Laminate it to use over and over. Have students use a dry erase marker to complete the activity. Instead of cutting out the letters at the bottom of the page, students simply circle the letters they use and mark out the letters they don’t use. They finish the rest of the worksheet the same.
Have a question you don’t see answered here? Feel free to email me at email@example.com or contact me through the "Product Q & A" tab here