Word work is a staple in every elementary classroom. However, over time students can become bored with manipulating magnetic letters, building words with play dough, stamping their words, etc. A great way to infuse new life into your word work is with interactive notebooks!
These word family interactive notebooks were designed with an advanced kindergartner (at least second semester) or first grader in mind. There are 36 VC and VCC word families included!
For each word family students will...
• create a word family house - students will create four flaps on each house with a given picture and write the word under each picture
• build words by matching letter "tiles" to four pictures
• complete a word search by finding 3 to 5 words for each family
• determine which four of eight pictures belong to the focus word family and write the word next to each picture
• spin a spinner six times (with a pencil and a paperclip) to write words that belong in the word family
• create a simple word flip book to practice reading words within the word family
• complete fill in the blank sentences with words from the focus word family and lift the flap to draw a corresponding picture
To help your students identify the words and practice fluency, I have also included word lists that can easily be placed on a binder ring. These lists include any picture that may be included in the interactive notebooks.
The following word families are included: -ad, -an, -ap, -at, -ed, -en, -et, -ig, -in, -it, -ob, -og, -op, -ot, -ug, -ack, -all, -amp, -and, -ash, -eck, -ell, -end, -est, -ick, -ill, -ing, -ink, -ish, -ock, -uck, -ump, -ung, -unk, -ush
Answer keys are included for quick teacher reference.
Are you looking for a more comprehensive resource for teaching word families? This word families bundle
has everything you will need for simple VC word family instruction in your classroom. The word family bundle has separate sections for instructional materials, guided reading resources, centers, and printables.