Word-final blends/consonant cluster activity
Phonics/articulation activity targeting the word-final blends ft, ld, lf, lt, mp, nd, ng, nk, nt, sk, sp, st. 84 cards total on 4 pages. Each card contains an image, a blank space, and the remainder of the target word. Students must complete the blank by adding the correct word-final blend.
Three worksheets for independent practice or review.
Print, laminate, and cut. If laminated, students can use dry erase markers to complete the word. Simply erase and re-use over and over. I pasted my cards onto construction paper before laminating for added color.
Excellent articulation/phonology material for any student demonstrating:
- Cluster Reduction: Before addressing cluster reduction with a student, SLP can use this activity to assess stimulability (i.e., identify which clusters to begin therapy with). Then, use these cards as treatment materials.
After students add the correct word-final blend, use cards for:
- Identify rhyming words within a field of the words, or generate rhyming words (real or nonsense) given target word.
- Identify words with given vowel sounds. For example, ask student s to find all the cards that contain the short /a/ sound, etc.
- Use words in a sentence verbally or in writing
- Select a number of cards for students to create short story
- Find semantic relationships among words
- Object/word identification: Give students a verbal clue, open-ended sentence, or riddle and have them find the correct
- Have students given one another the clues for an extra challenge and to increase student participation.
Some images are PCS from the Boardmaker program:
The Picture Communication Symbols ©1981–2010 by Mayer-Johnson LLC. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Used with permission. Boardmaker™ is a trademark of Mayer-Johnson LLC.
2100 Wharton Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Phone: 1 (800) 588-4548
Fax: 1 (866) 585-6260
Web site: www.mayer-johnson.com