Word Problem Sentence Starter Frames for Multiplication and Division
Please see the preview.
Sample conversations heard around the room after students work on word problems created by their peers:
“Hey Cameron – I got the problem you made today. That was hard! Have you done mine yet?”
“Mrs. Shelley – can I try a challenge problem like Austin made?”
“This problem is just like mine except he had dogs.”
“5 more minutes? I’m not done! Please, please, please can we have ten?”
These seven versions of blank task cards challenge students, while providing gentle guidelines.
of CGI (Cognitively Guided Instruction) problems for multiplication/division are included. Each set has a slightly different background pattern and is coded with abbreviations (in parentheses).
1. Equal Groups – whole unknown (EWU) A x B = N
2. Equal Groups – group size unknown (EGS) B = N x A or B ÷N=A
3. Group size (container) unknown (EGSC) B = N x A or B ÷ N =A
4. Equal number of groups unknown (ENG) B = A x N or B ÷ A = N (quotative)
5. Comparing – products unknown (CPU) A x B = N
6. Compare set size unknown (CSSU) B = N x A or B ÷ N = A
7. Compare Multiplier unknown (CMU) B = A x N or B ÷ A = N
Included in Each of the 7 Problem Types
1. Sentence frames on regular sized task cards (4 to a page) with patterned background (which works well in printer friendly setting too).
2. A foldable flap for students to hide their answers and the creators name on the back (or use a class list).
3. Trading card size problems without discernable marks. This way the teacher may opt to mix division and multiplication and allow students to use critical thinking to decode.
4. Full page size for teacher model.
5. Completed sample problem.
6. Bonus: Illustration page for story problems.
7. 40 numbered cards and four without numbers.
Updates. Please download again for the most recent version.
Update 10/14/14 – Sample problems added for upper grades. Larger font used for printing of multiple pages. Multiple page printing directions included. Additional response sheets with work area. GRAMMAR option for each type of problem added, with sample and teacher tips. Table of contents added.
Update 9/1/15 graphics improved; quotitive division problems (set 4)
Update 2/25/16 Added print friendly answer sheet for 40 count cards
Update 3/16/16 Printing Tips Added; Made more room on set 2 for writing.
Update 6/18/16 Added a blank circle card to every set to be used if a student card is ruined during the activity. Updated fronts to show types of problems. Updated table of contents.
For the mini-bundles included in this big bundle:
Mini bundle 1 Mult/Div Frames Sets 1 and 2
Mini Bundle 2 Mult/Div Frames Sets 3 and 4
Mini bundle 3 Mult/Div Frames Sets 5, 6 and 7
Bundle Mult/Div Frames - all 7 sets
Graphics by http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Super-Power
For these 'mad lib style' cards in addition and subtraction:
Mini Bundle 1 - Joining Word Problems
1. Joining– result unknown (JRU) - A + B = X
2. Joining– change unknown (JCU)- A + X = B
3. Joining – start unknown (JSU)- X + A = B
Mini Bundle 2 – Separating Word Problems
4. Separating – result unknown (SRU) - A - B = X
5. Separating –change unknown (SCU) - A - X = B
6. Separating- start unknown (SSU) - X - A = B
Mini Bundle 3 – Comparing Word Problems
7. Comparing –difference unknown (CQU) A - B = X
8. Comparing –quantity unknown (CQU) A + B = X
9. Comparing –referent unknown (CQU) A - B = X
Joining, Separating, and Comparing 9 set BUNDLE
*Follow me* - for 50% off new products for the first 48 hours.
Thank you for visiting my store.