This addition and subtraction word problems unit is a year-long resource for problem solving using story problems by problem type. It is perfect for both first grade and second grade and can be used in kindergarten and third grade classrooms by easily differentiating the numbers given to students.
Use the addition and subtraction word problems in a math journal or as stand-alone problem of the day. The format of these are perfect for Interactive Notebooks, as well.
Click here to read a blog post on how I have used this product in my classroom throughout the year with first and second grade students. Also included in the blog post is a FREE Sample.
Are you interested in Multipication and Division Word Problems set up in a similar format to this resource? Click here.
Included in the packet are:
• 12 different word problems for each type of addition and subtraction problem plus 12 multi-step word problems for a total of 156 problems
. Enough for almost a word problem a day! Problems are grouped by problem type. Blank spaces are provided in the problems to differentiate the numbers for your grade level or for students who need easier or harder problems.
• Word problems in two formats: One format has the same problem repeated on one page for easy photocopying. The other format has different problems on each page perfect for homeschool.
• Posters for procedures, models and computational strategies
• Teacher and student copies of six different models
students can use to solve these problems: Inverted-V (also known as mountain or number bond) for join, separate, and part-part-whole problems and bar models for all problem types.
• Vocabulary cards for problem solving that focus on understanding the relationship of the numbers in the problems
• Detailed explanation of the different types of problems
• Blank spaces to differentiate the numbers for each problem
• Suggestions for how to choose the problems and numbers for your students
• Descriptions of which Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practices and Common Core Standards for Mathematical Content align with these problems
• Five-Point Rubric
• Student work sample illustrating the distinction between models and computational strategies
• Pages for student journal, including cover page, problem type page, rubric page, and page with sentence frames.
• A Join / Separate & Add / Subtract Sort where students sort problems based on the action in the problem.
This packet makes a distinction between procedures
(steps in solving a problem), models
(which show the relationship between the numbers in the problem) and strategies
for computation (such as count on, breaking part a number, etc.).
Included are six different models to use with students (all based on inverted-v and bar models). Students are eventually encouraged to draw their own models.
This is truly a year-long resource
for addition and subtraction problem solving.
Download the preview to see more detail and parts of this product.
Do you teach second grade? Interested in saving time and money? Here is a BUNDLE of all my second grade math resources.
You might also like:
• Cut & Paste Math Activities for Every Second Grade Standard
• Fluency Strips for Odd Words and Phrases
• Dolch Sight Word Assessment
• Informational Writing Tools
Connect with What I Have Learned
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. You will now receive customized email updates about this store.
Follow me at my BLOG
Sign up for my newsletter NEWSLETTER
Copyright © Jessica Boschen. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.