Word sorts are effective ways for children to really focus their attention on words and their sounds and spelling patterns. They help students to compare and contrast words and to analyze word parts. The more time students spend with various word families and spelling patterns, the easier and faster decoding will be.
Word sort packet includes these sorts:
SH at the beginning and end
CH at the beginning and end
SH or CH at beginning
SH or CH at beginning or end
Words beginning with TH or WH
TH at the beginning and end
H Brothers/Consonant Digraphs SH, CH, TH, WH
COMES IN TWO VERSIONS!
• Words for sorting come 2 to a page and one version includes a corresponding sheet for sorting and gluing.
• A copy-saver version includes consonant digraphs toppers that requires only a half-sheet per student and a blank piece of paper for gluing. Included are alternate sheets titled “H Brothers sh, ch, th, wh” or “Consonant Digraphs sh, ch, th, wh” depending on how you refer to it with students.
• Students read each word orally and highlight the spelling pattern. One color or different colors can be used for highlighting different spelling patterns.
• Start off the year by reading the words whole group and highlighting the spelling patterns together until students become familiar with the procedure and how to place them in the correct column.
• Later students can do the word sorts independently or with a partner at a literacy center.
• Words can be kept in a baggy to practice sorting daily or as desired. Words can be glued onto paper on the last day of use.
• Word sorts can be checked with a partner for accuracy.