Do you wish you could get your students to APPLY the patterns they are learning in spelling, instead of memorizing for a test and then forgetting? Research suggests a word study approach to spelling is much more beneficial and authentic than traditional spelling.
During word study, students will engage in authentic reading, writing, and sorting of the weekly patterns.
This packet contains the resources you need to teach an entire year's worth of grade-appropriate, Common Core-aligned word study to 1st grade study.
The packet includes:
- 21 word sorts (1 for each week, plus repeat weeks for long vowels and review weeks)
- 21 CHALLENGE word sorts - a more difficult version of each weekly sort for advanced students
- 'In Our Books' page for each pattern - to allow students to find patterns in the texts they are reading
- A suggested grouping/breakdown and schedule of the patterns and word sorts
- A suggested weekly schedule/routine, along with potential EASY CENTER ideas!
- Mystery Word Assessment page
- A parent letter and suggestions for using word sorts at home
- 'If I Can Write...' resource for practicing patterns in small groups
- 'Ways to Use Word Sorts in the Classroom'
- Information on Grading
73 pages of resources to teach your students