This packet is intended to provide you with planning forms to use word study based on Words Their Way by Bear et al. in your classrooms. I have successfully used word study in my classroom and led implementation of the program school-wide for over 10 years. Student word study knowledge is a key component to their reading success. The program is not intended to take a majority of your literacy block time and these documents can help you in making planning and implementation easier!
The contents of this packet include:
• Example Word Study schedule
• Spelling Features by Week in order for you to plan for three spelling groups and the features they are studying
• A parent letter with explicit directions
• A parent letter with explicit directions in Spanish
• All Sorts of Sorts (an explanation of the different type of sorting activities)
• Buddy Sort Directions- This document can be blown up as a poster for a visual as well as shrunk down to keep in students’ word study notebooks.
• Word Hunt Directions- This document can be blown up as a poster for a visual as well as shrunk down to keep in students’ word study notebooks. (Note: It is very important to provide a model lesson or several on word hunts using big books to show how students need to find words in independent or instructional level text that match the sound and the pattern of their sorts.)
• Discovery Log- This document is another fun way to do a writing sort.
• SAW- This document is another fun way to do a writing sort while practicing alphabetical order.
Please let me know any questions that you have about the activities!