Also included in
- Word study provides students with opportunities to investigate and understand the patterns in words. Knowledge of these spelling patterns helps students discover the common ways to spell the sounds of the English language. This product provides students the opportunity to investigate the long vowel$21.00$30.00Save $9.00
- My purpose in creating these spelling units was for my students to be able to work independently and purposefully on spelling during our language arts rotations.The CCSS for this product are listed separately.Use these activities throughout the week to build students’ spelling skills.This bundle cur$75.00$118.00Save $43.00
Word study provides students with opportunities to investigate and understand the patterns in words. Knowledge of these spelling patterns helps students discover the common ways to spell the sounds of the English language. This product provides students the opportunity to investigate the long a spellings of ai and ay. Comprehensive lists of words (of 3 - 8 letter words) containing the word parts under investigation have been added. A blank practice page for student selected or teacher selected word list (from the Suggested Words or elsewhere) is now included.
Words to Practice
Each unit focuses on 16 words. The words included in this unit are rain, chain, braid, play, stray, clay, stay, tail, pail, sway, mail, say, tray, paint, birthday, and sail. Four additional words have students apply the skill. Apply Words for this lesson are: nail, brain, hay, and pay.
Program Promotes Independence
My purpose in creating these spelling units was for my students to be able to work independently and purposefully on word study during our language arts rotations. The visual component of the program helps to allow students to work independently.
Table of Contents
• Word list to be copied twice
• Word list as mini-flashcards with words and pictures with a storage pocket
• Word wall cards in color with pictures
• Word wall cards with word only
• Word sort activity (sort the words as ai or ay, add additional words)
• Writing activity (use the words to write a story)
• Rhyming activity (make lists of rhyming words for ai and ay)
• Reading activity (find and record ai and ay words in independent reading)
• Practice or homework pages; including a crossword puzzle and word find
• Practice Scavenger Hunt in color and in black and white versions includes words and pictures (Students spelling and using the words in context.)
• Game boards
• Spelling Test Scavenger Hunt in color and in black and white versions (Students are given the pictures only and must correctly spell the word.)
• Answer keys
Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
Identify words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.
TEKS Grade2.2 The student develops word structure knowledge through phonological awareness, print concepts, phonics, and morphology to communicate, decode, and spell.
TEKS Grade 3.2.C (Ci) demonstrate and apply spelling knowledge by spelling one-syllable and multisyllabic words with closed syllables; open syllables; VCe syllables; vowel teams, including digraphs and diphthongs; r-controlled syllables; and final stable syllables
You May Also Like
Tips for Customers
• Follow my store for product updates and sales.
• Follow my Facebook page to find occasional flash freebies and ½ price sales on new products here
• Please leave feedback to gain credit for future purchases.
• Contact me through Product Q&A with any questions, concerns, or problems.
Ann Fausnight ♥