This word work resource for Kindergarten includes lesson plans, tons of printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
This organized system will save you lots of time - and make sure students actually remember how to do each activity! First, teach students the core set of word work activities. Then, simply rotate in different versions of each activity to work on various skills or go with a seasonal/holiday theme. This system creates a high level of consistency, but also allows for differentiation and ensures students don’t get bored!
The materials are designed to be highly flexible and can go with any phonics or word study program that you use. The resources can be used many different ways, such as during literacy centers, D5, a word study block, small groups, guided reading, or even whole group.
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task with their word work
- Get your students to practice phonological awareness, phonics, and sight words through purposeful games and activities
- Create consistency, so that students don’t struggle to learn new instructions for every single word work activity
- Stop boredom and disengagement with a variety of flexible, fun materials
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget what to do
- Have different options for holding students accountable
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for word work activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You are looking for a complete phonics instructional program. (This has plenty of activities that can be used with any program, but explicit phonics minilessons are not included.)
- You only want students to work independently at the word work center. (About one-third of the activities are designed to be played in groups of 2-4 students, ideally in partners.)
- You do not want to do ANY cutting or prep whatsoever. (Although none of the activities are complicated or time-consuming to prepare, some do require cutting. That said, you can easily choose one of the no-prep activities if you are short on time!)
Here’s what’s included:
- 5 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for the word work center
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your word work activities throughout the year
- A lesson plan, printable materials, suggestions for differentiation, and kid-friendly directions cards with text and pictures for EVERY activity listed below
- 1,224 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
- An “at a glance” skills chart so you can quickly locate activities for any skill
- Name Practice Activities: includes a variety of name practice activities, including files you can use to create personalized tracing sheets and playdough name templates for students
- Matching Mats: 50 different versions are included and can be used as cookie sheet activities, file folder games, or simple cut-and-paste
- Picture and Letter Sorts: 55 different picture sorts and 8 letter identification sorts are included
- Say and Cover Games: 13 different versions of the game are included for different skills, as well as editable holiday/seasonal templates
- Letter and Word Search Activities: 25 different letter or word search activities are included
- Word Hunts: 52 sheets are provided to have students look for different letters or words in books
- Word Making Activities: includes a template (and 2 variations) for having students make words with magnetic letters, letter tiles, stamps, etc.
- Roll and Do Games: includes 15 different variations (and an editable template) for having students practice a variety of skills
- Sound Box Spelling Strips and Cards: includes 60 pages of printable materials where students complete partially-completed words to practice various skills
- Word Sorts: includes 28 different word sorts and different word sort activity variations
- Quiz Your Partner: includes 6 different sets of task cards to have students practice various skills with a partner
- Reading Race Game: this game can be played with any letters or words you want students to practice, and 12 different themes (including holiday/seasonal) are provided for variety
- Word Spinners, Cubes, and Wheels: includes materials to have students practice CVC words and word families, and a variety of interchangeable recording sheets with seasonal/holiday themes
To see a chart of the skills addressed in this resource, click HERE.
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for Kindergarten? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for Kindergarten HERE