This word work resource for second grade includes lesson plans, printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
These highly-flexible games and activities are designed to be used with words of your choice. You can have students practice sight words, spelling words, or any other words they are learning!
This organized system will save you tons of time - and make sure students actually remember how to do each activity. First, teach students the core set of word work activities and games. Then, simply rotate in different versions of the activities (seasonal/holiday versions and other variations are included). This system creates a high level of consistency, but also allows for variety so that students don’t get bored!
For 6 of the core activities, have students bring word lists/cards to the center, and they can do the activity with their own words. Instant differentiation - without any additional prep work on your part!
The materials can be used alongside any phonics or word study program that you use. The resources can be used many different ways, such as during literacy centers, D5, a word study block, small groups, guided reading, or even whole group.
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task with their word work
- Get your students to practice reading and writing words through purposeful games and activities
- Create consistency, so that students don’t struggle to learn new instructions for every single word work activity
- Stop boredom and disengagement with a variety of flexible, fun materials
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget what to do
- Have different options for holding students accountable
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for word work activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You need a complete phonics program or word lists. (This resource has activities that can be used with any program, but explicit phonics minilessons are NOT included, nor are word lists. If you need a recommendation for a spelling/phonics program, just ask - I can provide a suggestion!)
- You only want students to work independently at the word work center. (About half of the core activities are designed to be played in groups of 2-4 students, ideally in partners.)
Here’s what’s included:
- 5 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for the word work center
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your word work activities throughout the year
- A core set of printable activities (listed below), with variations for the activities + lesson plans to introduce each activity + kid-friendly directions cards
- 545 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
- Word Making Practice: includes a template (and 2 variations) for having students make words with magnetic letters, letter tiles, stamps, etc.
- Word and Picture Sorts: lesson plans and kid-friendly instructions only (you will need to provide words or pictures for students to sort, since this resource is designed to be used with word lists you already have)
- Word Top-It Game: a game that can be played with any words you want students to work on; includes 12 different themes, including holiday and seasonal
- Race To The Top Game: a game that can be played with any words you want students to work on; includes 12 different themes, including holiday and seasonal
- Word Bump and Steal Game: a game that can be played with any words you want students to work on; includes 12 different themes, including holiday and seasonal
- Spin and Do Game: a game that can be played with any words you want students to work on; includes 12 different themes, including holiday and seasonal
- Spell and Score Game: a game that can be played with any words you want students to work on; includes 12 different themes, including holiday and seasonal
- Word-Making Spinners and Cubes: 34 different sets of spinners and cubes, designed to have students practice a variety of skills, including word families, blends and digraphs, r-controlled vowels, and long vowels
- Word Hunt Scorecards: 33 different no-prep sheets that give students instructions for finding certain types of words in the context of text
- “Fill It In” Funny Stories: 15 different stories with words missing, where students use their own word cards to fill in the appropriate part of speech and then read the silly story
- Student (or Teacher) Created Games: materials for having students create their own Memory, Boom!, word dominoes, or board games with the words they are practicing
- Word-Making Bingo: materials for playing Bingo with contractions, inflectional endings, prefixes, and suffixes
The games can be modified to address vocabulary skills, too - by having students define words or use them in a sentence in addition to or instead of reading/writing them.
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for second grade? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for 2nd grade HERE
For a kindergarten version of this product, click HERE
! For a 1st grade version of this product, click HERE