This unit includes over seven center activities to celebrate summertime in your classroom.
- Making Words (3 recording sheet options, from 2-9 letter words)
- Word Search (using most of the 36 vocabulary words)
- Learning Idioms (matching idioms & their meanings, drawing/writing a sentence on the recording sheet)
- Parts of Speech Sort (sorting 36 summer-themed words into nouns, verbs, or adjectives)
- ABC Order (organizing 36 summertime words into alphabetical order)
- Syllable Sort (sorting by 1-3 syllables)
- Pick 3: Dictionary Skills (using summertime word cards and a dictionary to find guide words, definitions, example sentences, and pronunciation guide)
- Publishing Paper (for centers who finish early, included paper can be used to use the word(s) in a story, poem, how-to, etc.)
- Idioms Poster to help at centers
- 36 summertime word cards
Great to practice a wide range of word work during these hot summertime months.
This unit addresses the following 3rd Grade Common Core State Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.2g Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
For more information, visit my blog: 3rd Grade Thoughts
Thanks and enjoy!