This unit includes over seven center activities to keep you warm during the chilly winter months.
- Making Words (2-9+ letter words)
- Word Search (using most of the 36 vocabulary words)
- Building Compound Words (combining two words to make a compound word, then defining the compound word)
- Parts of Speech Sort (sorting 36 wintry words into nouns, verbs, or adjectives)
- ABC Order (organizing 36 wintry words into alphabetical order)
- Syllable Sort (sorting 36 wintry words into 1-3 syllables)
- Pick 3: Choosing 3 wintry words and writing a sentence in either past, present or future tense.
- Publishing Paper (for centers who finish early, included paper can be used to use the word(s) in a story, poem, how-to, etc.)
- 18 word cards to build 9 compound words
- Compound Word Poster to help at centers
- 36 wintry word cards
Great to practice a wide range of word work during these cold winter months.
This unit addresses the following 3rd Grade Common Core State Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.1e Form and use the simple (e.g., I walked; I walk; I will walk) verb tenses.
For more information, visit my blog: 3rd Grade Thoughts
You can also see a specific post about how I set these centers up for my students HERE
Thanks and enjoy!