Word-initial Blends / Consonant Cluster Phonics Activity
Phonics/articulation activity targeting the word-initial blends bl, br, cl, cr, dr, fl, fr, gl, gr, pl, pr, sc, sk, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw, tr, tw, spl, scr, spr, and str. 160 cards total on 10 pages. Each card contains an image, a blank space, and the remainder of the target word. Students must complete the blank by adding the correct word-initial blend.
Print, laminate, and cut. If laminated, students can use dry erase markers to complete the digraph. Simply erase and re-use over and over. I pasted my cards onto construction paper before laminating for added color.
Excellent articulation/phonology material for any student demonstrating:
- Cluster Reduction: Before addressing cluster reduction with a student, SLP can use this activity to assess stimulability (i.e., identify which clusters to begin therapy with). Then, use these cards as treatment materials.
- Gliding: So many /r/ and /l/ blends!
After students add the correct word-initial blend, use cards for:
- Identify rhyming words within a field of the words, or generate rhyming words (real or nonsense) given target word.
- Identify words with given vowel sounds. For example, ask student s to find all the cards that contain the short /a/ sound, etc.
- Use words in a sentence verbally or in writing
- Select a number of cards for students to create short story
- Find semantic relationships among words
- Object/word identification: Give students a verbal clue, open-ended sentence, or riddle and have them find the correct
- Have students given one another the clues for an extra challenge and to increase student participation.
Some images are PCS from the Boardmaker program:
The Picture Communication Symbols ©1981–2010 by Mayer-Johnson LLC. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Used with permission. Boardmaker™ is a trademark of Mayer-Johnson LLC.
2100 Wharton Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Phone: 1 (800) 588-4548
Fax: 1 (866) 585-6260
Web site: www.mayer-johnson.com