Wordplay Junior: TEN Word Games is a series of fun language games that could be used as bell-ringers or bonus activities for 2nd through 4th graders. It could be a great BACK-TO-SCHOOL activity to get kids excited about learning language, vocabulary, and grammar (subjects they're not normally thrilled about).
I created these word games as a way to get students' brains working as they come into class and get ready to work. Each activity engages students' minds in a different way, and each is designed to teach a different language concept or skill--from basic phonics to roots and affixes to vocabulary development. The goal is to get them thinking about language and to get the creative juices flowing--and a somewhat sneakier goal is to covertly convince kids that English can be fun!
The unit includes TEN different word games with thirty rounds each:
* "Dueling Homophones” – Students are given two homophones and are asked to write sentences that correctly use BOTH words.
* “Letter Combinator” – Students are given a vowel combination or digraph and are asked to list words that contain this letter combination.
* “Spelling Bee” – Students figure out the missing letters to spell a high-level word.
* “Replacer” – Students are given a passage from a classic children’s book and are asked to replace one word with as many words as possible that still make sense in context.
* “One Plus One” – Using a series of clues, students try to guess the two simple words that make up a compound word.
* “Synonymous” – Students are given a words and are asked to list synonyms and antonyms.
* “Seussify” – Students come up with rhyming lines like Dr. Seuss.
* “Story Time” – Students are given six random vocabulary words and are asked to write a very short story that uses all of them.
* “Blender” – Students list words that contain a given consonant blend.
* “Starts With” – Students think of words that fit into a given category and start with one of three given letters.
If you want more of these word games, get a full year's worth here:
WORDPLAY JUNIOR: DAILY WORD GAMES!
And if you're looking for more difficult word games for higher aged students, check out:
WORDPLAY PRIME: DAILY WORD GAMES!
4th - 6th Grades
DAILY WORDPLAY! FULL YEAR OF LANGUAGE GAMES!
7th - 8th Grades
DAILY WORDPLAY! EXTREME BRAIN BLOWOUT EDITION!
9th - 12th Grades
This product download will come as an interactive PowerPoint file, perfect for use with a Smart Board or other interactive white boards.
Created by Arik Durfee