Here are some hands-on activities I have used in my classroom to practice working with the common suffixes: -ing, -ed, -er and -s. Word sorts reinforce spelling rules. Word posters encourage all learners to be successful spellers.
I have included:
1. I Have ... Who Has ... Irregular Nouns (plurals)
2. I Have ... Who Has ... Irregular Verbs (past tense)
3. Word Sort: -ing (no change / double consonant / drop the e)
4. Word Sort: -ing (add the ending and sort)
5. Word Sort: sometimes y (sounds like: long a / long e / long i)
6. Word Sort: -ed (sounds like: d / t / id)
7. Word Sort: double consonants
*Most sorts include words for students to add suffixes.
Colour and black & white spelling rule posters provided.
Please visit me at: www.myideafile.blogspot.com for more ideas. Check out my freebie word sorts for a sample of this activity.