This Words of the Week unit was created to provide robust vocabulary instruction related to the book Maggie and the Monster by Elizabeth Winthrop. The activities within this unit involve directly explaining the meanings of words along with thought-provoking, playful, and interactive follow-up. The words that have been selected are all Tier Two words that either directly appear in the story or words whose concepts fit in with the story.
Some components of this unit are designed to be displayed on my Words of the Week bulletin board. However, the unit itself can also stand alone. If you are interested in this bulletin board display, please check out my TpT store at:
Kindness Courage & A Little Magic
• Words for Word Frames
• Word Meaning, Sentence, and Picture Clouds
• Book Cover Cloud
• Daily Instruction – This product contains five days of instructional activities that are planned to directly explain the meanings of the words along with thought-provoking, playful, and interactive follow-up.
• Assessments – This product includes three possible assessments to help you understand the extent of your students’ word knowledge and guide instruction.
• Magnifying Glasses – This product includes three different sizes of magnifying glasses in both color and black and white. Some of the daily activities use these to increase student interaction and add entertainment value.
• Word Detective Tally Chart – This poster can be displayed to keep track of how often these words are used or sighted by the teacher and/or children.
• Word Detective Weekly Challenge – The purpose of this activity is to engage children with the weekly vocabulary words outside of the school setting.
Check out these other Explicit Vocabulary Instruction products:
Words of the Week - Swimmy (Explicit Vocabulary Instruction)