World Book Day Party Class Play or Assembly
This class play is based on/uses characters from the following books:
· The Horrid Henry series by Francesca Simon
· Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
· The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
· Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
· Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
· Matilda by Roald Dahl
· The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
· Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
· The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carl
Cast of 30 (easily adapted up or down)
This number can of course be adapted to a smaller or larger group of children – it could even be taken up to a whole year group size. This script was written following a teacher’s request and so is based on her book choices. Other books can of course be used and the number of characters increased or decreased. It is a ‘moveable feast’ – as are all the best parties!
Duration: Around 20 minutes not including music suggestions
Narrator: Thank you! Of course there is so much to celebrate in the world of literature! All those wonderful inspirational characters!
(Enter Horrid Henry, scowling)
Horrid Henry: Dah! I suppose you’ve got a whole line up of squeaky clean characters for us today? Just got one word to say to that – BORING!
Narrator: And you are? (Pauses) Oh, don’t tell me – Horrid Henry!
(Aside to Audience) A shame he had to start us off today! Definitely not one of our more likeable characters!
(To Henry) Now, if you don’t mind, I do have a lot of other, shall we say ‘more wholesome characters’ to introduce!
Horrid Henry: (Scowling) Please yourself!
(Exit Horrid Henry, giving exaggerated ‘yawns’)
Narrator: (To Audience) Oh dear! Sorry about that! Let’s see if we can ‘raise the bar’ a little!
(Peter Pan ‘flies’ onto the stage)
Narrator: Ah! Peter Pan! How nice to meet you!
Peter Pan: The pleasure is all mine!
(Enter Wendy and Tinkerbell)
Peter Pan: I’d like you to meet
Wendy: (Curtseying) Wendy (looking at Peter Pan adoringly) Darling!
Tinkerbell: (Trying to ‘swoosh’ Wendy out of the way) And Peter’s favourite, Tinkerbell!
Peter Pan: (Laughing) Now, now Tinkerbell! We have spoken about that jealousy thing!
(Tinkerbell pulls a face, sulking)
Wendy: Oh but she’s so adorable! You can’t be cross with her for long!
(Enter Horrid Henry)
Horrid Henry: What was I saying about those yukky sugary-sweet characters? Time to introduce some more interesting ones!
(Horrid Henry beckons to Captain Cook and Crocodile)
(Enter Captain Cook and Crocodile, snapping at Narrator’s heels)
Narrator: (Angrily) Who let this beast on here? (Glaring at Horrid Henry) Oh I might have known you’d be up to no good!
1. Music Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO; or Can’t Stop the Feeling – Justin Timberlake; or Happy – Pharrell Williams
2. Bad – Michael Jackson
3. If you Go Down to the Woods Today
4. School’s Out – Alice Cooper
5. Music Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO; or Can’t Stop the Feeling – Justin Timberlake; or Happy – Pharrell Williams (or any other song children will enjoy dancing to)
Other scripts available for World Book Day can be found either in the World Book Day or the Literature section of the website www.plays-r-ussell.com These include:
• Take a Book: Different Genres of Writing
• Great British Writers Assembly (incl. Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, A.A. Milne, Lewis Carroll and J.K. Rowling)
• Roald Dahl Assembly
• Sherlock Holmes and the Great Mysteries of the World Assembly
• Selection of alternative Fairy Tales (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White)
• If – Rudyard Kipling; and Smugglers Song
• The Highwayman – Alfred Noyes
• The Listeners Assembly
• Just So Stories – adapted into Guided Reading Scripts
And numerous alternative Shakespeare scripts.