Students demonstrate their knowledge of world geography by identifying the continents that 80 countries are located in. There is 1 card for each country. After each correct answer, 1 square from a multi-colored grid covering an image of a globe is revealed. There are 4 sets of questions and each set reveals a different globe. When the final question about a country in each set is answered, the next card asks students to identify the continents shown on that globe.
✓ Please note:
* To use Boom Cards™, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards. You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with "Fast Pins," (play provides instant feedback for self-grading Boom Cards). Fast Play is always a free way for students to engage with Boom Cards decks. For additional assignment options you'll need a premium account. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our premium account. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
* When you purchase and download this resource, you’ll receive a PDF file with instructions on how to access the Boom Cards. The actual cards are not included in the PDF file.
The 1st card in the deck gives instructions and students can click on the audio icon to also hear them read aloud. The 2nd card is a menu that students use to choose a set of cards to do; it also lists the 7 continents as a refresher for students. The last card in each set tells students they did a great job and directs them to return to the menu card, where they can select another deck to work on.
Each set of cards includes:
* 20 cards asking which continent 1 country is in; students type the name of the continent in a box on the card
* 1 card at the end asking which 2 continents are depicted on the globe image; students type the names of the continents seen in boxes on the card
* 1 card congratulating students on finishing and telling them to return to the menu; students click a box to go back to the menu card
Sets 1 and 2 have cards for countries that are on 2 continents. For those 2 cards, students click on 2 out of 4 multiple choice answers. Countries in Central America and the Caribbean are in North America. Countries in Oceania are not included in this resource.
The same grid is used for all the sets but the order that the squares are uncovered differs. The order is the same for Sets 1 and 3, and a different order is used for Sets 2 and 4. The grids alternate to make it easier to keep track of which set is being worked on or has been completed.
Answers are case sensitive so students can practice typing proper nouns with capital letters.
This resource is aimed at all students learning world geography. It is suitable for English Language Learners at a high beginning level of language proficiency and up since answers depend on students’ knowledge of world geography rather than their knowledge of English.
* They exist only online: You’ll save paper because you don’t need to print them.
* They are visually appealing: Since they are digital, they are in color and you don’t have to worry about using up printer ink.
* They are low-prep: You’ll save time because students just need an internet connection and a device to use them.
* They are self-grading: You’ll save time assessing students’ work because the cards automatically indicate right and wrong responses.
* They are interactive: Students must engage with the cards in a game-like manner, which helps keep them motivated.
* They are self-checking: Students will immediately find out if their answers are correct or incorrect.
* They can be used as a whole class activity on an interactive whiteboard or individually if students all have a device.
* Use on computers, tablets, and smartphones: Offers greater access if you don’t have enough computers for every student; it also means they can be used at home as long as students have access to a smartphone.
* You can assign Boom Cards with Google Classroom™.
* Depending on the type of your Boom Learning account, you can get reports that track how your students did when they use decks
What you get in this product:
★ Cover (1 page)
★ A table of contents (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with background information & link to the resource on the Boom Learning site (2 pages)
★ Descriptions of the cards in this deck (4 pages)
★ Copyright, social media & credits information (1 page)
★ Directions to students (1 card)
★ Reading passage (11 cards)
★ Comprehension questions (6 cards)
★ Sequencing task about the process of impeachment (1 card)
★ End card congratulating students on finishing the deck (1 card)
You might also like these products:
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Boom Learning and Boom Cards are the trademarks of Boom Learning Inc. Used with permission.
© 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google Inc. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with Google, Inc.