Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.78 MB | 31 pages
A 8-lesson module on Chinese Festival Drumming. Each lesson lasting 60 mins. I have successfully used it for grades 5 and 6 before.
Chinese drumming began its existence nearly four thousand years ago. In the past, they are used in both celebration and conflict. Chinese drums are usually red as it is associated with power and luck while shouting is attributed to the war drumming which motivates and rallies them. Modern drumming, on the other hand, has been integrated into an art form. The 24 festive drums is a good example. It has its roots in the 24 festivals of the Chinese agricultural community, where farmers are guided to harvest through the festivals. Performances are both visually and musically engaging, ultimately creating a festive mood and bringing out the rhythm of life through this traditional instrument.
The approach used for this module is that of problem solving. In this module, the “problem” given to students is to compose and perform a drumming piece in relation to the 24 festive drums. The first 4 weeks will be more teacher-directed and the teacher’s role is to equip students with the relevant knowledge needed. The next 4 weeks will be student-directed and the teacher’s role is to facilitate their group discussions.
- Scheme of Work (Table of Unit Overview)
- Unit Plan Layout containing detailed descriptions of the activities (pre, during, post) for each of the 8 lessons.
- Rubrics for Assessment
- Individual Checklist
- Flowchart worksheet for Video Analysis and Group Planning
- Group Planning Worksheet for Layering of textures
- Detailed Lesson Plan for Lesson 2
- Powerpoint Slides for Lesson 2
- Worksheet for Lesson 2
- Chinese Drumming Rhythmic Notation Reference List