Products in this Bundle (4)
Captivate your students from upper elementary through high school with a tour through 4 eye-opening and thought-provocative children’s books: Material World, Hungry Planet, If the World Were a Village, and Toy Stories.
Buy the bundle and save 20% plus get exclusive extras to turn this into a mini-unit!
This resource comes in PDF print and Google Slide formats.
Greatness is appreciating what separates and connects one’s self with the rest of the world.
Few teenagers know the world beyond their own surroundings and many have no idea that the vast majority of fellow humans live in a world of abject poverty, unsanitary conditions, and limited means of opportunity. Yet at the same time, share tremendous similarities of emotion and spirit, of a taste for modernized foods and technology, and strong ties of family and culture.
Guide your students through a variety of children’s books as they wonder and build towards answering this not-so-simple question: “How do other people around the world live?”
You will set each of your students up for success in this high interest, multi-faceted activity pack, regardless of ability, with highly scaffolded graphic organizers, concept definition notes, and supplemental resources included at each step of the way.
Empower your students to become globally aware citizens in this low-prep, powerful 3-4 day activity!
Each book activity is completely independent of each other- mix and match depending on time constraints, student ability, or personal interests. Yet, also are coordinated together with a growing concept definition and culminating written assessment.
Included in this complete book analysis activity:
- Overview and step-by-step lesson plans
- Writing rubrics, plus in editable Word format for customization
- Editable PowerPoint slideshow of student directions, prompts, and links to resources
Student Materials & Activities
- Concept Definition Sheet to record and reflect on learning
- Material World to analyze what the world possesses where they live
- Hungry Planet to analyze what the world eats
- Toy Stories to analyze how the world plays
- If the World Were a Village to analyze demographic statistics of the world’s people
- Culminating Extended Written Response to demonstrate learning and personal reflection
- Print PDF & Google Slide versions of all student materials
You get both an all-in-one file with FREE bonus material as well as each stand-alone book activity!
Note: these 4 books are easy to find either at your local library or online. Additionally, there are limited online galleries of the images in these books that work if the books cannot be acquired. Links are provided.
Want to turn this into a whole unit?
World Population PBL Unit: explore our ever-growing population, extreme poverty, and global demographics
Need a whole course?
Global Issues to Empower is a semester-long current events, human geography, and environmental science all-in-one course that will create global citizens out of your students
- World Population, Demographics, & Poverty PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
- Growth, Globalization, & Natural Resources PBL Unit: explore the growth and shrinking of our global population, connectivity, and resources
- Sustainability & Consumption of Water, Energy, & Garbage PBL Unit: explore the ever-increasing water, fossil fuel, and garbage footprints
- Global Priorities Research Project: culminate learning with this capstone project that strengthens research, sourcing, and writing skills to turn your students into global citizens