World War I Newspaper Assessment
Your Task: Describe what factors created changed in the US global responsibility pre WWI; during WWI; and post WWI
Product: Catchy Headline/Newline / Newspaper/ Magazine/ Brochure
• You should create and/or find a Catchy Headline and explain the impact it had one US global responsibility
• You should introduce the topics below and Introduce the Topic, Cite information (give a quote from a Headline and/or use a song quote), Explain how headline relates to the main topic at hand; and Revert back to the Thesis- FOR EACH QUESTION BELOW!! Some Questions may have many paragraphs/ outlines
Some things to think about
1. What was the responsibility of the United States towards other nations prior to WWI? Why? Explain
2. What factors contributed to change of America’s position during WWI? (below are a list of topics we completed in class; and some things to think about) (Choose one example from each )
i. The MAIN Causes of World War I/ who was to blame/ why?
ii. Technology of WWI (choose a few/ tell why/ how affected)
iii. Battles of WWI
iv. US Enters WWI
v. US at home the home front
1. What was the global responsibility of the average “American” during WWI?
a. Think of Women, Men, African Americans, Immigrants, the media, etc…
b. Think of certain things programs that were created
c. Civil Responsibilities
3. After WWI/ during the Treaty, what was US responsibility? Why? Think about how we looked to other countries at the time
i. How did Woodrow Wilson’s 14 points have an effect on the United States?
1. What did we look like to other Nations? Explain (remember it was not adopted
ii. Treaty of Versailles
1. How did this affect the Global responsibility of America?
4. Currently, what do you feel is US global responsibility? Explain fully
Example of Paragraph # 1
TITLE: “ No Foreign Entanglements”
Subtitle: “The United States was and should be Isolated during World War I
INTRODUCE (TOPIC SENTENCE AND BRIEF INFO., AT HAND): Prior to World War I the United States’ adopted a foreign policy of being isolated from the rest of the world; and only had a global responsibility to protect Latin American countries from European Conquest in order to deal with its own economic issues. This means that the United States did not believe in getting involved in the foreign affairs of European Countries except for helping Latin America; mostly because it had it’s own problems and had to deal with its own economic depression during the Taft Administration.
CITE (SONG QUOTE). “No foreign Entanglements”; “the United States was and should be isolated during World War I.”.EXPLANATION (SONG AND RELATING TO INFO)
This quote reflects the era of the United States prior to the United States entering World War I. Prior to the policy of Isolationism, the United States was involved in the Spanish American War during the administration of President William McKinley; it took the policy of “world police” under Theodore Roosevelt when it took control of the Panama Canal and helped other Latin American countries from European conquest with policies like the Monroe Doctrine during the Taft and Wilson Administration, and therefore felt it unnecessary to conquer the European world, and just keep the Americas safe. On top of this the United States went through a depression during the Taft administration which left many Americans more interested about domestic issues rather than foreign affairs. Proving that as the quote above stated the majority of people in the United States did not want to become involved un foreign entanglements, and believed that the United States needed to focus on making the lives of the American people better and have unity within America, fixing its own problems; hence it needed to be isolated from the wars in Europe.
DONE (CONNECT THESIS AND CLOSE PARAGRPAH) Therefore, the US prior to WWI felt the need to be globally isolated from other countries except if it interfered directly in American economic interest.