The following is a comprehensive, common core-based lesson/worksheet that focuses on the US home front during World War I. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson.
• Primary and secondary sources about the Selective Service Act, total war, managing the economy, enforcing loyalty, the Espionage and Seditions Acts, and Schenck v. US. – Includes over a dozen critical thinking questions perfect for small group or whole class discussion!
• Link to a video on Youtube that discusses several important ways American supported the war effort – includes several questions.
• Societal changes activity – discusses female workers, women’s suffrage, and the Great Migration of African-Americans to northern cities.
• Fill-in-the-blank notes (with answers)
• Potential homework assignment included (or could be used as an extension during class). Students analyze 8 different WWI dilemmas.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!