This is a unit over World War II that was planned with the Georgia Performance Standards in mind while creating it. The standard reads:
SS5H6 The student will explain the reasons for America's involvement in World War II.
a. Describe Germany's aggression in Europe and Japan's aggression in Asia.
b. Describe major events in the war in both Europe and the Pacific; include Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, D-Day, VE and VJ Days, and the Holocaust.
c. Discuss President Truman's decision to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
d. Identify Roosevelt, Stalin, Churchill, Hirohito, Truman, Mussolini, and Hitler.
e. Describe the effects of rationing and the changing role of women and African- Americans; include Rosie the Riveter and the Tuskegee Airmen.
f. Explain the U.S. role in the formation of the United Nations.
The listing includes the following instructional items:
- A PowerPoint including information on the World War II in regards to the Allied and Axis Powers, the important leaders, the United States during the war, VE and VJ Days, and the United Nations.
- Notes pages that allow students to follow along and fill in the blanks of important sections of their notes. Vocabulary matching is included on the notes pages.
- A leader matching vocabulary activity that allows students to identify the leaders, the side they were on during the war, and which country they represent.
- A sequencing activity that allows students to complete a timeline of World War II.
- A class "I have, who has" game that allows students to review important concepts of World War II.
- A study guide for review
- World War II assessment
- World War II modified assessment (for special needs and lower level students)
NOTE: If you would like to edit the presentations, products, or tests in any way – PLEASE feel free. I am satisfied with my product AS IS, but realize others may wish to make edits.
Other (copyrighted - sorry!) instructional items - such as Brain Pop, Coach books, etc - were used in addition to the teaching and assessing of my own students, but these items were a huge part of my World War II instruction for me.
Those instructional items include:
Carole Marsh 5th Grade Social Studies Workbook, located at:
Georgia Test Prep CRCT for 5th Grade, located at:
I have included the files as both word documents and PDFs, so please feel free to edit them to your needs/teaching.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!