This unit is packed full of activities all about worms and composting. This unit includes directions for having a compost in your classroom. (I did this activity with a grade 2 class and they loved monitoring the breakdown of the fruit peels). I have also included a variety of activities designed to help your students have a better understanding of these little misunderstood creatures.
The learning outcomes of this unit are:
-To gain a greater understanding of worm habitat, life cycle, and parts.
-To gain a greater understanding of composting and the role that worms play in composting.
-To gain a greater understanding of biodegradable materials.
This unit contains:
1. My worms KWL
2. What I know about worms mind map
3. Worm vocabulary word games includes: directions for three games/activities.
4. 16 worm word vocabulary cards
5. Worm vocabulary 10 part flip up
6. Describe an earth worm’s appearance writing exercise
7. Worms fact poster
8. The life cycle of a worm interactive movable wheel.
9. The earth worm’s habitat cut and paste activity
10. Worm names art activity
11. Did you know? Worm pie interactive notebook spinner
12. Compare and contrast a worm to a snake
13. Composting in the classroom tips pages
14. Composting in the classroom directions
15. Biodegradable cutting and pasting activity
16. Biodegradables puzzle
17. Composting discussion questions
18. Where does composting happen naturally flip up booklet
19. What goes in a compost? Partner activity
20. Our classroom compost data log sheet
21. Worms true and false activity. Includes true and false pockets and 12 fact cards
22. Worms bingo game
23. Worms exit ticket