This unit is meant to guide students in the middle grades through the correct format for writing a five paragraph Persuasive Essay. The unit is unique in that it guides your students through a “practice essay” using an appropriate topic (fast food in the school cafeteria) and provides ready- made arguments (pros and cons). This way, students can focus on learning the skills and format for writing a Persuasive Essay before doing an independent essay, which would require them to research topics and to find and evaluate credible arguments. Additionally,the unit includes an overview of Persuasive Techniques and guidelines for such components as hook, topic sentence, ending sentence and transition phrases. Unit contents:
• Unit Vocabulary & Vocabulary Test
• Overview of Persuasive Techniques & Practice Worksheet
• Format/Outline for a Persuasive Essay
• Guidance on writing an effective Hook and Ending Sentence.
• Overview of Transition Phrases & Practice Worksheet
• Lesson Plans for a “Practice Persuasive Essay” using provided research material.