Those of you who are Pure Literacy followers, you know I am a huge Lucy Calkins fan. While many of my writing paper packs were designed to support writing using her writing curriculum, this resource Write like a Scientist Lab Report and Science Notebook, was designed to be used in primary classrooms NOT using the Calkins Writing Units of Study Curriculum.
This science lab report/notebook was created to support students as they cycle through scientific method in an effort to write like scientists no matter what area of science is being studied. Student engagement in the scientific process is one part- the experience or experiment and another part- making sense of the experience or experience by recording observations, data, and thinking.
As students engage in the scientific process, they will record their findings in their science notebooks. Students will use this resource to support recording their findings as they: develop a hypothesis, test out theories, record trials and explain their results and develop conclusions. This resource includes a variety of paper that supports the differentiation of writing instruction for the primary age writer:
• Kindergartners may draw, label or write single words
• First and Second graders may write simple observations and a summary of the scientific method including examples, facts, graphs, comparisons, and academic language in their entries with paper choices to support those entries.
This science notebook can be used a variety of ways to support:
• Authentic investigation, including both outdoor and indoor experiences
• Recording focus questions and hypothesis
• Recording observations, results, and conclusions
• Responding to reading in the science content area
• Authentic assessment to monitor progress
• Student goal setting and reflection on learning
Teachers will love the differentiation possibilities to support all your writers during science content area writing. Kids will love the variety of paper choices and the authenticity of writing in the science content area. Scaffolds of support that will help even your most reluctant writers are provided by the graphic organizers included in each text type packet. As a literacy coach, instructional coach and district staff developer, this product includes many of the writing paper resources I use on the job with teachers and students in classrooms every day.
Included in this information/explanatory writing packet are:
• Differentiated paper choices
• Sentence frames supporting the scientific method
• Variety of science notebook covers
• Variety of science notebook inserts
• Student goal setting sheet
• Student reflection sheet
For teachers looking for paper to support the Lucy Calkins Second Grade Writing Units of Study please check out my other product- 2nd Grade Information Writing Paper to support Lab Reports & Science Books- Unit 2 in the Second Grade Writing Units of Study. While these two products are very similar in content, they are not meant to be used together. One is to be used when teaching information writing using the Lucy Calkins Units of Study, and this one was adjusted slightly to support teachers who are NOT using the Lucy Calkins Unit of Study Writing Curriculum to teach information writing in science content areas in their primary K-2 classrooms. This product is meant to be used in any grade level K-2 when writing in science notebooks.
For more information about literacy, I hope you will check out my teacher tips resource page at www.pureliteracy.com
Kathi Zotovich- Pure Literacy, LLC.