This science lab report/notebook was created to support K-2 students as they cycle through scientific method in an effort to write like scientists no matter what area of science is being studied. As students engage in the scientific process, they will record their findings in their science notebooks. Students will use this resource to support recording their findings as they: develop a hypothesis, test out theories, record trials and explain their results and develop conclusions. Student engagement in the scientific process is one part- the experience or experiment and another part- making sense of the experience or experience by recording observations, data, and thinking.
Included in this information/explanatory writing packet are:
• Differentiated paper choices for lab reports and science notebooks
• Sentence frames supporting the scientific method
• Variety of science notebook covers and inserts
• Variety of lab report covers and inserts aligned to NextGen Foss Units
• Student goal setting sheet
• Student reflection sheet
This resource includes a variety of paper that supports the differentiation of writing instruction for the primary age writer:
• Kindergartners may draw, label or write single words
• First and Second graders may write simple observations and a summary of the scientific method including examples, facts, graphs, comparisons, and academic language in their entries with paper choices to support those entries.
Teachers will love the differentiation possibilities to support all your writers during science content area writing.
Kids will love the variety of paper choices and the authenticity of writing in the science content area. Scaffolds of support that will help even your most reluctant writers are provided by the graphic organizers.
For more information about literacy, I hope you will check out my teacher tips resource page at www.pureliteracy.com
Pure Literacy, LLC.