Six rounds include practice or review writing linear equations in slope-intercept form and point-slope form from graphs.
Separate students into groups of four and give each student their own copy of Round 1. Students should discuss the problem as they work on it and agree on the correct answer. Once each student in the group has the correct answer, ONE person from the group takes ONE Round 1 sheet to have it checked by the teacher.
If the answer is correct, the student then picks up four copies of Round 2 for the group. If the answer is not correct, the teacher sends the student back so the group can correct Round 1.
Groups continue working until each round is completed and checked by the teacher for accuracy.
This activity works well early in a lesson when students are actively learning a new skill. The discussion and collaboration in the small groups enhance the students’ learning.
The answer key for the teacher is included.
CCSS: Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
8.F.B.4 Construct a function to model a linear relationship between two quantities. Determine the rate of change and initial value of the function from a description of a relationship or from two (x, y) values, including reading these from a table or from a graph. Interpret the rate of change and initial value of a linear function in terms of the situation it models, and in terms of its graph or a table of values.
CCSS: Construct and compare linear, quadratic, and exponential models and solve problems.
HSF.LE.A.2 Construct linear and exponential functions, including arithmetic and geometric sequences, given a graph, a description of a relationship, or two input-output pairs (include reading these from a table).
CCSS: Create equations that describe numbers or relationships.
HSA.CED.A.2 Create equations in two or more variables to represent relationships between quantities; graph equations on coordinate axes with labels and scales.
HSA.CED.A.4 Rearrange formulas to highlight a quantity of interest, using the same reasoning as in solving equations.
CCSS: Interpret functions that arise in applications in terms of the context.
HSF.IF.B.6 Calculate and interpret the average rate of change of a function (presented symbolically or as a table) over a specified interval. Estimate the rate of change from a graph.
CCSS: Interpret linear models.
HSS.ID.C.7 Interpret the slope (rate of change) and the intercept (constant term) of a linear model in the context of the data.
Print enough copies (one-sided) for each student to have his/her own. Cut pages on the dotted lines to separate rounds into separate stacks (all of Round 1 is in one stack, Round 2 is in a different stack, etc.).
After handing out Round 1, keep stacks of Round 2, Round 3, etc. and only allow students to take the next round in order when their group is ready for it.
Included in the package:
• Six relay rounds
• Answer Key for Teacher
***THIS PRODUCT IS PART OF A MONEY-SAVING BUNDLE***
Algebra 1 Relay Activities Bundle
You might also like:
• Find Slope & Y-Intercept Sum It Up Activity (7 stations)
• Find Slope & Write Linear Equations Given Two Points Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Rewrite Linear Equations Into Slope-Intercept Form & Standard Form Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Point-Slope, Slope-Intercept & Standard Form Sum It Up Activity (8 stations)
• Parallel & Perpendicular Lines Sum It Up Activity (6 stations)
• Write Linear Equations From Context Problem Pass Activity (6 rounds)
• Write Linear Equations In Context & Mixed Review Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Write Linear Equations From Graphs Quiz Quiz Trade Activity (30 cards)
• Find Slope From Graphs Quiz Quiz Trade Activity (30 cards)
• Linear Equations In Point-Slope Form Quiz Quiz Trade Activity (30 cards)
• Write Linear Equations From Graphs Problem Pass Activity (12 rounds)
• Write Linear Equations From Tables, Points & Graphs Problem Pass Activity (12 rounds)
• Write Linear Equations From Tables Problem Pass Activity (8 rounds)
• Rewrite Literal Equations & Formulas Relay Activity (6 rounds)
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are a coach, principal, or district interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.