Just in time for Common Core implementation! This PowerPoint will introduce your students to writing using evidence to support their claims.
The PowerPoint contains:
* a rationale for why students need to master writing like an investigative reporter
* a simple, 3 step protocol for writing using evidence
* a model to show your students how to write a paragraph using evidence as support
* independent practice
* questions for students to reflect on as they review each other's work
* a reflection on how the protocol worked
* a student hand-out with the protocol
* cloze notes on the PowerPoint
* a rubric to evaluate student work, based on the learning reflected in the PowerPoint
In order to have students complete the Independent Practice, you will need copies of former poet laureate Ted Kooser's poem "Abandoned Farmhouse." I have provided a link in the PowerPoint that will take you to the poem.
If you already have my Read like A Detective: Close Reading for the Common Core PowerPoint, this presentation is a great complement; it reuses the poems but extends the learning through writing.
Thank you for choosing The Teacher Lady! - Katrina