Support the formation of paragraphs during your writers workshop period. In Paragraph Writing - main idea and details, by the2teachers, you will receive a 16 page product.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- 4 prewrite planning pages
- a 10 day process writing lesson plan summary (this can be adapted to any number of days based on your objective for teaching this skill)
- an oral storytelling feedback page (partner work on writing and planning)
- main idea and details practice worksheet (answer key provided)
- revise conference record sheet
- edit checklist record sheet
- lined writing paper
- blank student rubric for self-assessment (you can handwrite in focus skills *note this is not digitally editable)
- a pre-populated student rubric for self-assessment
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
This product was designed to support learning to formulate paragraphs with a main idea and supporting details. It was based around the holiday of Thanksgiving, only because it was an easy tie in for students to write about things that they are thankful for (things that are important to them). With the exception of the graphics having a turkey, you can use this product at any time of the year. It follows the format of process writing (planning, sharing, writing, conferencing, revising, editing, publishing). You can keep this format or pick and choose the parts that best fit into the needs of your classroom. The design was not to create a full story/essay, however, you can certainly add to what is provided here and move your students' writing in that direction.
WHY SHOULD I ENGAGE MY STUDENTS IN THESE ACTIVITIES?
It has been our experience that students need repeated, explicit instruction in formulating paragraphs. Even our best early and middle elementary students write without the formation of paragraphs. Many writing assessments look at style and organization in writing. These skills can be developed through explicit lessons on paragraph writing. We also truly believe in the benefit of students sharing ideas with peers. We have watched students gather knowledge from peers and be able to transfer it to independent work. The lessons in this packet were designed with that in mind. Peer engagement and conferencing is part of process writing.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
We also kept in mind that the days/weeks surrounding Thanksgiving often are exciting times for students. They often require teachers to adjust lessons and units. With many students having numerous days off of school, teachers want to fit meaningful learning in, but without starting skills that will be interrupted by days off. This packet can be flexibly adjusted to fit into the learning time table that you have leading up to a break in learning.
OTHER PRODUCTS THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Sentence Building - Fall Theme
- Thanksgiving Related Idioms
- Describe It! Vocabulary Game
- 20 Narrative Writing Prompts
- 20 Opinion Writing Prompts
Don't miss the opportunity to be among the first TPT customers to know about new the2teachers products and sales. Simply click the green star under our store name to become a follower!