This unit provides 10 Literature Linked Quick Writes, 10 Mini-Lessons, and 10 Mini-Lesson Try-It Pages for your Writer’s Workshop. These mini-lessons are well suited for a expository writing unit.
These lessons include:
* Lightning– A mini-lesson on shocking leads
* Frogs– A mini-lesson on facts
* So You Want to be an Inventor?– A mini-lesson on questioning
* So You Want to Be President?- A mini-lesson on verbs
* Can You Survive the Titanic– A mini-lesson on illustrations and captions
* Sports Cars– A mini-lesson on vocabulary
* Tornadoes– A mini-lesson on commas in a series
* Oceans: Dolphins, Sharks, Penguins, and More– A mini-lesson on beginnings
* Ben Franklin: His Wit and Wisdom– A mini-lesson on quotations
* Cats– A mini-lesson on descriptive endings
This unit provides three pages for each book for teachers to use during Writer’s Workshop. The Quick Write page gives a Quick Write topic based on the picture book. The Mini-Lesson page provides talking points to discuss the author’s craft of each skill. The Try-It page gives the students an opportunity to try out the newly acquired skill.
Check out my preview to see if this unit is right for your class. Also check out my Writer’s Workshop Start-Up Kit for more information about setting up a Writer’s Workshop in your class.