PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
"I've never experienced anything, over the course of my 21 years that engages every student like Strategies for Writing." -- Mercedes Walker, Principal, Palmetto Elementary, Fontana, CA
Background on Author:
30 plus years teaching Experience (k-8th grade)
10 years as a teacher Trainer for two writing programs
Writer for Teacher Created Resources for 11 years
This full year Curriculum can be used as a stand alone program or in conjunction with other programs.
Make writing exciting!
This BUNDLED Common Core aligned 195 page comprehensive manual includes EVERYTHING you need to teach first graders to write stories(narrative) and essays(expository), and analyze literature(response to literature).
Make your job enjoyable with tested, proven strategies and activities used successfully with 500 plus first grade students for over 5 years in California, Minnesota, and internationally (Belize).
This manual applies all four learning modalities (visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile) to promote retention, increase knowledge, and develop confident writers and oral communicators.
The Strategies for Writing program uses scaffolding and modeling to engage and empower even the most hesitant student.
It can be used as a stand-alone manual or as part of the Strategies for Writing series (Kindergarten to grade 5).
This complete, comprehensive manual includes five parts:
1. Teacher’s manual
• Rubrics for scoring each genre (narrative, expository, and response to literature)
• Pacing guides for the entire year broken down by week to teach each genre successfully
• Step by step, easy to follow teaching instructions
• Student samples of actual student work collected from diverse groups of students
• Witty, memorable chants that reinforce components for narrative, expository, and response to literature
• Each activity is directly linked to a Common Core Standard in language arts, reading, or social studies.
2. Student’s Notebook/Posters
• Can be used as a student support piece to differentiate and define the writing process
• Can be used to make posters for all types of writing
• Sample templates which remind students of essential elements for each type of writing
• Genre information which clarifies genres in case students forget
• Blank student templates for each narrative which include essential elements for story writing
• Blank student templates for expository which include essential elements for essay writing
• Blank student templates for response to literature which include essential elements for analyzing literature
4. Games & Activities
• Pages of games and activities which support the writing process
• Games for differentiating between narrative and expository
• Activities for strengthening word usage and vocabulary
• Game cubes to write creative stories
• Outline strips to use in a game, class activity, outline form, or review for different subject areas
• Games to teach topic sentences
5. Awards and Incentives
• Awards for top performance
• Narrative, expository, and response to literature
• Incentive tickets which have icons to support writing concepts; useful for classroom management
Testimonials from Teachers and Principals:
"Strategies for Writing is an innovative, creative writing program. Students can't wait for writing time. Write on!"
-- Ryan Holman, Superintendent of Curriculum, SJUSD
"Strategies for Writing has a powerful effect on students at Baldy Mesa. Teachers are empowered; students are excited to learn."
-- Dan McDonald, Principal, Baldy Mesa, Phelan, CA
"Strategies for Writing empowers all students to become successful writers. I only wish I'd discovered Strategies for Writing earlier in my career."
-- Mary Loucks, Grade 2, Hamilton Elementary, Rosamond, CA
“Strategies for Writing engages students and teachers, empowers, and creates a strong writing environment in my classroom.”
-- Libby Underhill, Grade 2, Bemidji, MN