Products in this Bundle (14)
showing 1-5 of 14 products
Struggling to make your yearly plans for writing both practical and fun for your students?
Students can be very resistant to writing instruction. Some are bored out of their minds by years of useless, monotonous exercises, and have stopped believing that they can actually learn to become better writers. Add to that their short attention spans and need to have fun, and it can feel like teaching writing is an impossible task. Others have learned a simplistic formula like the 5-paragraph essay and think that they have all they need. They can be rigid and stilted and write the most boring essays you’ve ever read.
I’ve taught some of the most reluctant learners myself—the kids who ask if they can be done after a few sentences or the ones who are so set in their ways that they are afraid to experiment or try anything new in their writing. They are scared and their writing is boring and painful to read.
When it seems impossible, many teachers give up and simply assign essays and grade them, without much hope that students will ever learn to write better. But we can’t stop trying—teaching writing is essential if we want to create a generation of life-long learners who think for themselves, value their own opinions, and know how to get their message to the world.
I have made it my mission to find practical ways of teaching writing that are still engaging (for the students and for me since I get bored easily as well!) Additionally, since I have taught all levels of students and different subjects just about every year, I have needed to create all-purpose plans that I can modify for different levels and needs.
This bundle includes everything that I have developed over the years in order to give my students the practical and engaging writing curriculum that they deserve. And since it’s a growing bundle, you’ll receive any additions for free.
Here’s how your writing instruction will change when you teach with this massive bundle:
- Hundreds of time-tested freewrite prompts will help you establish calming, focusing routines and get your classes writing on a daily basis.
- Innovative exercises focusing on literary devices and writing style will get your classes focusing on mentor passages, analyzing how writers create meaning in a text, and learning from the masters.
- Concrete, specific revision exercises will challenge your classes to improve their writing by giving them the necessary scaffolding they need to try something new.
- Common-core aligned creative writing assignments will teach your students to see writing as fun and push them to think outside the box when they analyze literature, write about their lives, or create stories or poems.
- Fun, low-key exercises, prompts, and assignments will teach students valuable skills that they will apply to more serious academic writing.
- Reading and analyzing real-world examples of published writing will inspire students to learn about effective writing techniques, think more deeply on important questions, and get their own voices into the mix.
- Teaching your classes to always start with the evidence when formulating ideas will help to create critical thinkers who won’t easily be swayed by manipulative media when they go out into the world.
- Concrete, step-by-step processes and mini lessons will help your classes to understand the importance of the writing process and to see the value of working through the process with their own work.
- Ready-to-go checklists for peer conferences and teacher conferences will insure that you are engaging with students along the way, deepening your relationship with them when you show them that that you care about their writing.
- Hundreds of prompts and assignments that get at ideas, issues, and topics that matter to students will mean that you never get bored assigning the same essay over and over.
- Writing about ideas and issues that matter to them—from cell phones to painful past failures—will give students the passion to find their voices and create effective writing that is a pleasure to read.
- Easy-to-use rubrics will help you give helpful feedback to students and move quickly through the paper pile when assignments are complete.
The following resources are included in this bundle at a huge discount when you buy them together:
Argument Essay Unit | Argument Writing How-To | Argument Writing Questions
(normally priced at $9.97) These are comprehensive lesson plans so that you can teach your students to write persuasive or argument essays that meet the Common Core standards. Included in this unit is everything you need to get your students writing effective essays based on research—including the research itself. Get you students thinking critically, reading challenging non-fiction, and writing about a topic close their hearts: cellphones. In all, enough for sixteen days of reading, writing, analyzing, and thinking based on real published writing. Your students will improve their skills, produce quality research-based argument essays, and gain awareness of the drawbacks and risks of cellphone use.
Narrative Writing Essay Unit | Narrative Writing Prompts, Examples, Mentor Texts (normally priced at $9.97) This narrative writing unit includes writing ideas, prompts, exercises, and lesson plans that work for six days of packed classes. After the unit is over, you will see a noted improvement in your students' essays. Students love these lessons because they are practical, simple, and effective. You will love them because they are ready to go and because they work.
No Prep Bellringer Creative Writing Prompts with Revision Checklist (normally priced at $1.99) Getting students to write creatively on a daily basis is key. When they see writing as something fun, they will be more likely to write, and the lessons that that they learn through that creative writing about what makes for effective communication will carry over to all other areas of their work. This resource includes 100 daily prompts, 10 Questions for Analyzing Creative Writing, and 10 Fun Exercises for Playing With Creative Writing.
Creative Writing Activities & Literature Based Creative Writing Prompts (normally priced at $9.97) This resource includes five different fun writing assignments which are great alternative assessments. All of the topics here will result in original, creative writing pieces. Your students will have fun writing poems, stories, cooperative plays, and even an epic poem, and you will see their understanding of literature take on new depths.
Creative Writing Activities & Literary Analysis Exercises Creative Writing Prompts (normally priced at $7.97) This resource will get your students to understand literary devices from the inside out by trying their hand at different fun creative writing activities that can be used over and over again.
Mentor Sentences | Writing Lessons | Literary Analysis | Literary Devices (normally priced at $7.97). By digging deep on single short passages, these focused, practical lessons take students through the noticing of the literary elements to a close reading of those details and finally to a thorough analysis of how they work to further an author’s themes. Far from being dry questions or boring exercises, these are challenging, rigorous, and fun writing lessons that will get kids playing and experimenting with language and writing on and discussing big ideas and questions.
Differentiated Writing Workshop Guide: Writing Lessons & Process, Revising (normally priced at $7.97) This writing workshop guide is designed as an all-purpose manual for teaching writing workshop with your classes. The 30 pages of how-to’s, handouts, and charts can be used for any kind of writing, from argument to poetry to personal narrative. Included in this guide is everything that you need to get your students writing, revising, and working together to improve their essays.
Close Reading for Any Text: Differentiated Reading Response Journal Prompts (normally priced at $5.97) This guide to reading response reaction journals based on quote analysis and close reading will get your students reading, analyzing, and writing about literature on their own. I have been teaching with reading responses for eleven years, and this guide includes what you need to teach your students to think independently without having to read and grade every single thing they write.
Six-Word Memoir | Narrative Writing | Fun Activity for ELA (normally priced at $3.97)
This standards-aligned, low-key activity will help you get to know your students while sharpening their writing skills. This six-word memoir lesson will get your classes analyzing mentor texts, reflecting on their own lives, utilizing scaffolding to bring their writing to the next level, and experimenting with revision—all while having fun.
Romeo & Juliet Writing Prompts: Essays, Group Creative Writing, & 74 Bellringers (normally priced at $9.97) With 74 bellringer prompts and 6 different writing assignments, this resource will get your students excited to write on Shakespeare’s classic play and give you plenty of rigorous and engaging options for writing prompts. Romeo and Juliet.
The Crucible Writing Prompts: Essays, Creative Writing, & 50 Bell Ringer Prompts (normally priced at $9.97). Get your students writing better, thinking deeper, and analyzing the bigger ideas and themes of The Crucible. With 50 bellringer prompts and 5 different writing assignments ranging from literary analysis to a cooperative play project, your students will have plenty to write about here.
Their Eyes Were Watching God Writing Prompts: Essay, Creative, & 152 Bellringers (normally priced at $9.97) You will take your students’ writing to the next level when you engage them with these text-specific, innovative, and rigorous writing prompts on Zora Neale Hurston’s beloved novel.
Night Elie Wiesel Writing Prompts | Night Elie Wiesel Handouts | 58 Bellringer (normally priced at $9.97). With everything from reading response handouts to engaging bell ringers, from a literary analysis essay to a creative poetry project, this resource will help your classes to explore Wiesel’s powerful memoir on multiple levels with the variety of writing options.
The Great Gatsby Writing Prompts: Essays, Creative Writing, & 136 Bell Ringers (normally priced at $9.97) With 136 bellringer prompts and 5 different writing assignments ranging from literary analysis to a a fun research-based creative writing project, this resource will engage your students on a deeper level and make it easier for you to incorporate writing into your unit on The Great Gatsby.
Your classes will be easier to manage, more eager to learn, and more ready to take on new challenges when they learn to value their own voices with these engaging writing lessons.