Are you learning about plants? Do your students want to learn more about gardening? Here is a writing center that will be a hit with your students. It is a perfect academic extension activity to enhance the great lessons you are already doing in your classroom.
Learning materials included:
- 12 camping gear picture cards in three versions (words without handwriting lines, words with handwriting lines, no words)
- 3 labeling pages
- 2 covers (one with pictures, one without). Perfect resource the start of class books or student stories
- 16 writing prompts (12 with gardening pictures and 4 without)
- 2 planning pages (one for narrative writing and one for informational writing)
Suggestions for quick lessons:
- Print and cut out one set of picture cards. Tape popsicle stick to the back of each picture and place them all in a container. Have students take a picture card, a writing page, and a cover page. Voila-- a grab and go class book activity easily tailored to individual ability levels.
- Pick a favorite gardening classroom book for you read to the class. After sharing the story, provide each student with an informational planning page to write down 3 gardening or plant facts. For an extended activity have students use lined paper to write out the gardening or plant facts into sentences. All students' work can then be combined together into a class book which students may revisit at a reading center at a later date.
- Give students a narrative planning page to brainstorm a fictional story. Then give them lined paper to become their own author and illustrator.
This product also goes with the following:
Write the Room Gardening