Previously I found myself constantly saying to my students, after every writing experience, 'please go and check your writing', 'have you checked your writing?', 're-read and edit your writing'. Since introducing the Writing Checklist, many common writing mistakes are fixed up by students before coming to be corrected by me. It allows them to take responsibility, be in charge of editing their work and allows them to make changes.
This writing checklist asks students to tick the circle once they have checked:
- Full stops and capital letters
- Finger spaces between words
- Spelt known sight words correctly
- Re-read writing to check for meaning
- Student specific focus (a student writing goal chosen by you that they are working towards)
*Note: I print 2 copies per A4 page as it is easier to use and saves paper. Print, laminate and then students can use a washable marker to tick off when checking their writing.
* Please do not buy this resource if you have purchased the Developing Writers pack Developing Writers: A teacher's guide