Attached is a packet for the Writing Like Scientists Unit in Writer's Workshop! It can also be used for a science unit on magnets!
The 16 page packet includes:
1. A Cover Page
2. Magnet Book Response Writing
3. KWL Chart
4. Magnet Experiment Brainstorm Page
5. What is Attracted to a Magnet? Experiment Scientific Method Charts (several pages)
6. How-To To A Magnet Experiment Writing (several pages)
7. Toy Car Magnet Experiment Scientific Method Charts (several pages)
Note: For the toy car magnet experiment, the question was: Can you make a toy car move using tape and a magnet? I divided the class into their science partners. Each pair got a toy car, a piece of masking tape, and two rectangular magnets. Ultimately, they realize through trial and error (hopefully!) that if they tape the magnet to top of the car, then they can hold the other magnet above the car and move the magnet in their hand to make the car move using the force of the magnet's attraction.