Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Take your American Government or Civics, U.S History, Business, or English class to the next level with this authentic research and persuasive letter writing project by engaging your students to be real agents of change in engaging their civic voice with their elected officials!
This universal project works for any level of government, local, state, or U.S. Congress, high school or middle school, social studies or English.
Cultivating great writing skills isn’t hard. You just need the scaffolded, step-by-step directions and models in one low-prep, everything's-included project kit. Let's make this year a great year of writing!
Greatness is taking one’s words and thoughts, perfected over years in the classroom, to the real world in order to create authentic change.
This nation was founded on the voice of the people yet a recent Fusion poll found 77% of American millennials couldn’t name one senator from his or her home state! Ensure your students are part of the better side of this statistic with this all-you-need authentic letter-writing project.
Challenge your students to be heard by the fellow citizens elected to represent them by researching an issue about which they are passionate, selecting the appropriate elected official, and writing a formal business letter persuading him or her to consider their position.
Replace the boring textbook with the topics and activities that matter to your students and help them create products that will influence the world beyond your classroom walls.
Included in this project package:
- Project Steps sheet- takes students from brainstorming to mailing in 5 simple steps
- Issue Research sheet- gives space to complete in-depth research on both sides of the students' chosen topics
- News Media Analysis sheet- provides a graphic organizer to deeply analyze sources researched
- Overview sheet- offers directions to each part of the letter
- Outline sheet- includes sentence stems to get them going
- Annotated Sample Letter sheet- provides an example of a finished letter
- Peer / Self Edit sheet- helps to catch any aspects that need improvement
- Reflection & Rubrics sheets (CCSS aligned and generic)- gives clear expectations for fast scoring; also comes in an editable Word file
- 5 BONUS Skill Sheets: Annotating a Text, Analyzing a Media Source, Finding Appropriate Sources, Annotating a Source, Creating a Works Cited
Save and get the bundle, turning your students into civic participants!
Civics Political & Community Service Learning Project get this and 5 more Art of Writing projects included in this BINGO-style service project
Want to see how to incorporate this project in a content unit?
Civics PBL Mini-Unit: 3 Branches of Government, Checks and Balances Unit connect your students to their democracy with this overview unit that centers on them, the holder of their own government
Want to host a writing project your students will thank you for?
Authentic Audience Writing Project challenge and support your students to turn their words into cold hard cash and glory through real scholarships, essay contests, and Op-Ed pieces they write and submit
Want more individual plug-and-play writing projects?
Want to it all?
Art of Writing Bundle get all the projects at once which saves you 20% and gains you FREE access to any future adds!