Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Take your Consumer Advocacy, Revolutionary War, Progressive Era, or Civil Rights Movement unit to the next level with this authentic research and persuasive letter writing project by engaging your students to be real agents of change in deciding and declaring a boycott or “buycott” of a real business!
Cultivating great writing skills isn’t hard. You just need the scaffolded, step-by-step directions and models in one low-prep, everything's-included project kit. Let's make this year a great year of writing!
Greatness is taking one’s words and thoughts, perfected over years in the classroom, to the real world in order to create authentic change.
The act of boycotting has been proven an effective means of protest from Boston Harbor’s Tea Party to the grape fields of California, but equally as powerful is that of the “buycott”- supporting companies whose values align with yours by purposefully purchasing from them.
Challenge your students to “vote with their dollars” by researching a business or brand they buy from to assess if they want to continue purchasing from them, then writing and sending a formal business letter to declare their now more-educated position.
Replace the boring textbook with the topics and activities that matter to your students and help them create products that will influence the world beyond your classroom walls.
Included in this project package:
- Project Steps sheet- takes students from brainstorming to mailing in 5 simple steps
- Overview sheet- offers directions to each part of the letter
- Outline sheet- includes sentence stems to get them going
- Annotated Sample sheet- provides an example of a finished letter
- Peer / Self Edit sheet- helps to catch any aspects that need improvement
- Reflection & Rubrics sheets (CCSS aligned and generic)- gives clear expectations for fast scoring; also included in an editable Word Doc for your customization
- News Media Analysis Graphic Organizer- guides through careful source evaluation
- Skill Sheets: Annotating a Text, Analyzing News Media Sources, Finding Appropriate Sources, Deciding a Precise Position, Creating a Works Cited, Annotating a Citation
Save and get the bundle, turning your students into civic participants!
Civics Political & Community Service Learning Project get this and 5 more Art of Writing projects included in this BINGO-style service project
Want to see how to incorporate this project in a content unit?
US History PBL: 1900s Protest Movements Unit explore the brave and outspoken from the Suffragettes to the Alcatraz Occupiers to today's protestors out in the streets
Want to it all?
Art of Writing Bundle get all the projects at once which saves you 20% and gains you FREE access to any future adds!
Want to check out other individual plug-and-play writing project?