Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Take your American Government or Civics, History, English, College Writing, or Debate class to the next level with this universal research and essay writing project pack that offers step-by-step scaffolding in developing, researching, and constructing a firm argument on any topic!
Cultivating great writing skills isn’t hard. You just need the scaffolded, step-by-step directions and models in one low-prep, everything's-included project kit. Let's make this year a great year of writing!
Greatness is developing thoughtful, articulate, and supported firm positions on even the most controversial topics.
This project pack provides all the necessary elements to pose any debatable topic, unit essential question, or essay prompt assessment to your students and receive high-quality essays in return.
This pack is a must for any high school English or Social studies teacher! Short, frequent opportunities to take a position, supported by evidence, and articulate it in writing is a sure-fire way to prepare your students for success in college and the real world.
Replace the boring multiple choice or short answer test with a position paper and you have all your assessments for the year already written! Just pick your prompts.
Grading is easy when done holistically with the included detailed rubrics and when students are provided with the right tools from the beginning.
Additionally, when writing is the assessment, there is an infinite number of ways to easily differentiate and accommodate a wide variety of learning needs. No test questions to re-write or alter. Ever. Simple options include: shortening the word count, extending the deadline, simplifying the question, or requiring fewer sources. Really the possibilities are endless and require no extra effort!
Included in this project package:
- Project Steps sheet- takes students from brainstorming to submitting in 6 scaffolded steps
- 5 Free Write sheets- gets students going with different prompts to encourage their budding ideas
- Essay Plan sheet- solidifies their ideas to prepare for a teacher conference, prior to beginning the writing stage
- 2 Outline sheets- includes 2 versions, depending on the scaffolding needs of your students
- Overview sheet- offers action-driven directions to each part of the Position Paper
- Annotated Sample sheet- provides an example of a complete Position Paper
- Peer / Self Edit sheet- helps to catch any aspects that need improvement
- Reflection & Rubrics sheets (CCSS aligned and generic)- gives clear expectations for fast scoring (also comes in an editable Word Doc for your customization!)
- News Media Analysis graphic organizer: scaffolds deep and organized thinking about sources researched
- 7 BONUS Skill Sheets: Annotating a Text, Deciding a Position, Constructing a Thesis, Creating a Works Cited, Annotating a Citation, Citing Evidence & Sourcing, and Analyzing News Media Sources
- BONUS Editable PowerPoint: Links to online video and written tutorials as well as student direction slides
Want to make this into a larger project?
Authentic Audience Writing Project challenge and support your students to turn their words into cold hard cash and glory through real scholarships, essay contests, and Op-Ed pieces they write and submit
Want to it all?
Art of Writing Bundle get all the projects at once which saves you 20% and gains you FREE access to any future adds!
Want to check out other individual plug-and-play writing project?