When you're teaching writing, it's a best-practice to establish baseline data. One of the most effective ways to do that is to ask students to give you a writing sample. That's the purpose of this writing pre-assessment.
Use it at the beginning of the year, at the beginning of a writing unit, or repeatedly throughout the year for progress monitoring and goal setting purposes.
This product is also perfect for tutoring and literacy intervention programs.
Included in this product are the following:
1. A writing survey to help you gather information about students' prior experiences with and feelings about writing as well as the way they view themselves as authors.
2. A 6 + 1 Traits of writing chart to record your observations. The categories featured are ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, conventions, and MLA or a second version that says "Other".
3. A comment reference sheet so that you can easily jot down notes when reading the students' composition instead of thinking of them on the fly. You can also use this comment sheet as a guideline for students. It contains both a strengths and weaknesses column with pre-made writing feedback comments.
4. A goal setting page that you can use with students after they complete their pre-assessment. Setting goals short term or long term goals will help them focus with each writing assignment for your class.
5. A suggested use document for teacher reference.
Please note that this writing pre-assessment can be used with any genre of writing. For that reason, a topic is not included. Simply choose a topic and genre of writing, and use this writing pre-assessment to help determine students' strengths and areas for improvement.
Looking for additional writing tools to add to your repertoire? Find these in my store:
Embedding Quotations in Research Papers MLA Practice
The Writing Games! Engaging MLA Research and Writing Skills Dice Game
Argumentative Research Paragraph Instructional Materials
MLA Research and Writing Skills Unit Assessment or Final Exam or Question Bank
Seven Deadly Sins of Sentence Fluency
Rules for Commas & Semicolons
Verbals Practice or Review Worksheet, Activity, & Task Cards
Verbals Unit Bundle
Prepositional Phrases Bundle
Types of Sentences Bundle
The Grammar Games! Dice Review
And more here
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.