Are you looking for a practical guide to teaching writing workshop?
This writing workshop guide is designed as an all-purpose manual for teaching writing workshop with your classes. The 30 pages of how-to’s, handouts, and charts can be used for any kind of writing, from argument to poetry to personal narrative.
When you teach with this writing workshop unit, you will:
• teach your students the importance of the writing process
• feel confident to give your students some freedom in their writing choices
• show your classes how to use freewrites to come up with essay topics
• push your kids to analyze mentor texts for techniques and writer’s craft
• have specific suggestions for revising student work
• have the tools to show your students how to conduct effective peer conferences
• use your writing workshop time efficiently by utilizing checklists and handouts
• choose from multiple mini lessons to address students’ needs
• get your classes to push through to a final draft
• proudly watch your classes create better finished products and be proud of their achievements
• learn from my many years of teaching writing workshops so that your workshop runs smoothly and without drama!
Table of Contents
7 Tips For A Successful Writing Workshop
*Writing Workshop: A Guide for Students
Differentiating With Mentor Texts
*All-Purpose Mentor Text Questions
Four Benefits of Freewriting
*Freewriting: A Guide for Students
Tips for Writing a First Draft: A Guide for Students
How To Conduct A Mini Lesson on Writing Elements
Peer Conference Steps
*How To Conduct Effective Peer Writing Conferences: A Guide For Students
*Peer Conference Handouts
6 Tips for Conducting Effective Teacher-Student Writing Conferences
Teacher Conference Checklist for Argument Writing
Teacher Conference Checklist for Narrative Writing
*10 Suggestions for Revising Your Writing
Troubleshooting Writing Workshop
Handouts and Guides for Students
Included in this guide is everything that you need to get your students writing, revising, and working together to improve their essays.