Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Writing Process and Grammar Task Card Bundle includes four sets of cards for practicing revising and proofreading - two steps of the writing process that need lots of practice. The sets are: Revising Task Cards, Proofreading Task Cards, Capitalization and Punctuation Task Cards, and Parts of Speech Task Cards.
Each set of thirty cards contains a variety of activities, great for centers, stations, classroom games, group work, and individual review or practice. Here is what is included in each set:
Revising Task Cards
With these cards, students work on specific revisions one at a time. The specific revisions include:
Removing unnecessary words
Replacing common words
Using pronouns to replace nouns
Changing word order
Changing tense or point of view
Using active instead of passive voice
Using direct quotes
Adding figurative language
Most of the cards present four sentences with directions to make a specific type on revision to each card. The three final cards each present a short paragraph with directions to make a number of revisions to each. The cards are designed specifically for revising, where students aim to improve the writing, not just correct errors.
Proofreading Task Cards
These proofreading, or editing, task cards gives students practice correcting common types of errors. The topics include punctuation, capitalization, grammar, run-on sentences, homophones, and spelling.
Each of these cards provides a short assignment, most with three to four questions. Also included are three longer passages for the students to proofread.
Capitalization and Punctuation
These cards provide practice with basic capitalization and punctuation rules plus punctuating quotes and capitalization when writing a letter.
- Capitalization Rules - Seven cards. Each card is about one or more specific capitalization rules. Each of these cards includes the rule, an example, and student practice.
- Punctuation Rules - Ten Cards. Each of these cards is about one or more specific punctuation rules, and also contains the rule, an example, and student practice.
- Writing Quotations - Two cards about capitalization and punctuation rules that apply to writing quoted lines.
- Writing Letters - One card about capitalization and punctuation rules for writing a letter.
- Mixed Capitalization Practice - Four Cards.
- Mixed Punctuation Practice - Four cards.
- Mixed Capitalization and Punctuation Practice - Two cards.
- Two posters - one with capitalization rules and one with punctuation rules that can be posted for students to refer to or copied for their notebooks
Parts of Speech Task Cards
Parts of Speech Task Cards include three cards each about nouns, verbs, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, and conjunctions, and one card about interjections. In addition, there are eight cards that are each about several or all of the parts of speech.
The activities include sorting for parts of speech, adding a particular part of speech to a sentence, listing words of a particular part of speech and using them in a short passage, matching, unscrambling sentences, and labeling the parts of speech in a sentence.
The cards are designed with content and clip art for middle school and upper elementary students. With the variety of activities included they work well for differentiating among a group of students with mixed abilities. These cards address several of the Common Core standards for language and writing.
For more bundles of task cards for language arts, vocabulary, and reading, see Bundles here at Classroom in the Middle.