★This printable allows students to track and monitor their own writing progress. Students record the assignment, date, a "plus" (something they did very well), a "delta" (something they should work to improve on the next assignment) and their overall grade.
★Using this resource facilitates students truly reading, understanding, and internalizing the writing feedback with which you provide them. Instead of simply reading your comments (or perhaps just looking at their grade) before discarding their papers, students will be encouraged to reflect on your comments and create action plans for how to improve their writing.
Suggestions for Use
• Build systems around the use of this resource
• Whenever you hand back an assignment, provide students with 5 minutes to read your feedback and record their interpretation of your notes on their tracker
• Encourage and facilitate continued review of the trackers
• Use the trackers to show progress during Report Card Night or student conferences
• Students can use the tracker to record verbal feedback you provide during Writing Workshop, allowing them to internalize feedback and act upon it even before you provide a final grade