Also included in
- Set up your essay writing curriculum in a snap with these materials for narrative, explanatory, argumentative, and research writing. What is it? It's not only a bundle of my best-selling, classroom-tested units and resources for writing, but with this set of resources, you will have a full year's w$161.74$179.71Save $17.97
- Welcome to my Argumentative Essay Writing Complete Unit! This classroom-tested, low prep, standards-based unit is designed to help you teach students to write argumentatively from beginning to end. What is it? It's not only a bundle of my best-selling, classroom-tested units and resources for argume$56.25$62.50Save $6.25
In this easy-prep writing prompt pack, students will analyze texts that discuss a very personal hot-button issue that faces kids, teens, and adults: obesity and the government's role in preventing it. They will then write an essay where they take a stand on the issue after reading that set of articles. If your state requires students to synthesize from multiple sources for state testing, then this prompt meets that requirement.
Suggestions for teaching:
· You could use this as a cold writing task for students.
· Another idea is to use the assignment as a summative assessment for your class.
· If you need a model student essay, this would be an excellent pack for students to see how to put together an essay using sources from start to finish. They could dissect the info texts, prompt, and sample paper. I even like for students to make a t-chart for strengths and struggles of the sample paper.
· Provide students with the rubric and have them score the paper against specific categories.
Included in this editable teaching pack:
-- fully developed prompt
-- two complete sample essays (excelling and emerging) with annotations for teaching those model papers
-- CCSS for secondary ELA
-- an argumentative graphic organizer/outline
-- 100% editable format
Other Suggestions for Use:
- example paper to use for teaching solid writing strategies for success on state writing tests
- practice scoring
- practice editing
- foods, health, or government class
Please take a moment to watch a few free teaching tutorial videos where I share tips for teaching writing:
- Red Light Green Light Educational Video (via TPT)
Classroom success from other teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "Great resources to help prepare my students for their writing exam."
♥ "I purchased this pack for the model essay included in order for it to be used with the "oreo" lesson. Anxious to use it!
♥ "Awesome prompt. Thank you so much. I love using your materials to help with my students writing."
♥ "I used this prompt to review argumentative writing before our benchmark test. It went well. Thank you."
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration: