PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This packet contains 180 writing prompts for the entire school year. Narrative, opinion, and informative prompts are included.
Some prompts are seasonal, but many can be used any time during the year.
Use for morning work, homework, writer's workshop, early finishers, etc.
Three editor's checklists are also included (one for each type of writing).
1. What Do You Want to Learn This Year?
2. Tell About Your Best Day of Summer Vacation
3. How Much Homework Should Your Teacher Give This Year?
4. What is Your Favorite Sport? How do You Play?
5. Describe Your Favorite Character in a Book or Movie
6. Write a Letter to Introduce Yourself to Your Teacher
7. What is Your Favorite Subject in School? Why?
8. Describe the Perfect Pet
9. How to Make Applesauce
10. Getting Ready for School...Describe Your Morning Routine
11. Tell About Your Favorite Book
12. What App Would You Design?
13. Tell the Story of Your First Day of School
14. Describe Your Classroom
15. Write a Made Up Story About a Birthday Party
16. Make Up a New Rule for Your Classroom...Be Creative!
17. What is Your Favorite Food? Why?
18. Should School Be Year-Round? Why or Why Not?
19. What Would You Do if You Were the Principal?
20. What do You Want to be When You Grow Up? Why?
21. Which is Better: Summer or Fall? Why?
22. What Superpower Do You Wish You Had? Why?
23. Write a Recipe For Your Favorite Food
24. Describe Your Favorite Toy
25. Write a Made Up Story About a Dinosaur
26. Write Some Fire Safety Tips
27. What is the Best Fall Holiday? Why?
28. Write a Story About a Time You Were Surprised
29. Write Facts You Know About Your Favorite Animal
30. Should Kids be Forced to Eat Vegetables?
31. Write a Made Up Spooky Story
32. How to Rake Leaves
33. What is Your Favorite Disney Movie?
34. Write a True Story About a Time You Were Scared
35. How to Carve a Pumpkin
36. What Should Your Bedtime Be?
37. Write a Different Ending for a Favorite Story
38. What Will You Be for Halloween This Year?
39. Do You Believe in Ghosts?
40. Write About a Time You've Been to a Pumpkin Patch
41. Describe the Season of Fall
42. Should Kids Have Their Own Cell Phones?
43. What Did You Do Last Halloween?
44. How Does a Pumpkin Grow?
45. Should You Try to Scare Trick or Treaters?
46. Write About a Time You Made a Friend
47. Tell About Your Favorite Athlete
48. What is Your Favorite Halloween Candy?
49. Write a Story About a Rainy Day
50. Give Some Advice to Younger Trick-or-Treaters
51. Should There Be School the Day After Halloween
52. Research and Write About Dia de los Muertos
53. What Would You Do With One Million Dollars?
54. If Your Pet Could Talk What Would He Say?
55. Why Do Leaves Change Color?
56. Write a Story About a Time You Helped Someone
57. Should We Eat Turkeys? Why or Why Not?
58. How to Make Pumpkin Pie
59. Write a Made Up Story About a Turkey on Thanksgiving
60. When Should You Start Decorating For Christmas?
61. Describe Your Plans for Thanksgiving Day
62. Tell A Story About Your Grandparents
63. What is the Best Thanksgiving Food?
64. What Happened at the First Thanksgiving?
65. Who is the Best Football Team This Year?
66. Write About a Disguise a Turkey Could Use to Avoid Being Thanksgiving Dinner
67. Pretend You Are a Turkey. Write Piece Convincing People to Eat Something Else on Thanksgiving
68. What is the Best Kind of Pie?
69. Describe Your Favorite Character From Toy Story
70. Which Season Do You Like Better: Fall or Winter?
71. What Did You Do This Thanksgiving?
72. Write Facts About Your Home State
73. Who Works Harder: The Elves or Santa?
74. Write a Made Up Story About a Reindeer
75. How to Make Hot Chocolate
76. What is Your Favorite Holiday? Why?
77. Tell A Story About a Time Someone Helped You
78. What Would You Like For Christmas This Year?
79. What is Your Favorite Holiday Memory?
80. Write Facts About Reindeer
81. Are You on the Nice or Naughty List? Why?
82. Do You Like the Grinch? Why or Why Not?
83. How to Decorate a Christmas Tree
84. Write a Letter to Family and Friends to Tell Them About Your Year
85. How to Play Basketball
86. Write a Letter to Santa
87. What is Your New Year's Resolution?
88. How to Build a Snowman
89. What is Your Best Memory From This Past Year?
90. Should You Be Allowed to Stay Up Until Midnight on New Year's Eve?
91. Write a Made Up Story About a Penguin
92. How to Ice Skate
93. All About Martin Luther King, Jr.
94. Describe Your Perfect Day
95. Write a Funny Story
96. All About Penguins
97. Would You Rather Go Swimming or Skiing?
98. Describe a Talent You Have
99. Write a Story About What You Did On New Year's Eve
100. I Wish I Had 100...
101. Would You Rather Be Hot or Cold?
102. What Would You Do With a Day Off of School?
103. Describe One of Your Family Members
104. Do You Think the Groundhog Will See His Shadow
105. Would You Rather Have an Early Spring or a Long Winter?
106. Write About a Time You Felt Loved
107. Write a Made Up Story About Valentine's Day
108. Research and Write About a US President
109. What Would You Do if You Were President?
110. Write About Someone You Love
111. Write a Story About Cupid
112. If You Could Travel Back in Time Where Would You Go?
113. Write a Narrative About Your Valentine's Day
114. Which is Bette: Skiing or Snowboarding? Why?
115. Write a Make-Believe Story About a Snowman That Comes to Life
116. Would You Rather Explore Space or the Ocean?
117. How to Make the Perfect Valentine
118. Describe Your Favorite Place
119. Write a Story About the Best Birthday You Ever Had
120. Where is the Farthest Place You Have Traveled?
121. Research and Write About a Famous Historical Figure
122. Would You Rather Be the Youngest Child in Your Family or the Oldest? Why?
123. Where Did You Watch the Superbowl This Year?
124. Which Season Do You Like Better: Winter or Spring?
125. Write About a Time You Were Lucky
126. Describe Your Bedroom
127. How To Build a Leprechaun Trap
128, What Causes a Rainbow?
129. Write a Made Up Story That Happens on St. Patrick's Day
130. What Would You Do if You Found a Pot of Gold?
131. Would You Rather Go Camping or to the Snow?
132. Should You Pinch Someone Who Doesn't Wear Green on St. Patrick's Day
133. What is Your Lucky Charm?
134. Research and Write About Ireland
135. Would You Rather Be Super Strong or Super Fast?
136. Write About Your Favorite Singer
137. How to Brush Your Teeth
138. Who Makes a Better Pet: Cats or Dogs?
139. Should You Try to Catch a Leprechaun?
140. What is the Unluckiest Thing That Has Ever Happened to You?
141. Would You Rather Go to the Zoo or the Aquarium?
142. How to Dye an Easter Egg
143. Describe a Butterfly's Lifecycle
144. Write a Narrative About a Sports Game You Have Played
145. Are You A Morning Bird or a Night Owl?
146. Should Kids Be Allowed to Drive? Why or Why Not?
147. Write a Story About the Easter Bunny
148. How to Take Care of Your Pet
149. Would You Rather Be a Movie Star or an Athlete?
150. Write a Story That Happens on a Spring Day
151. How to Fly a Kite
152. Would You Rather Eat Whatever You Want or Pick Your Own Bedtime?
153. Write About an Easter Egg Hunt You've Participated In
154. How to Grow a Flower
155. Do You Like the Rain? Why or Why Not?
156. Write About a Time You Were Proud
157. All About Chickens
158. How to Play Baseball
159. Write About What You Did During Spring Break
160. Write a Review of a Movie You've Seen
161. Describe Someone You Admire
162. Write About a Time You Lost a Game
163. Would You Rather Play Video Games or Play Outside?
164. All About My Mom
165. Write a Made Up Story About a Baby Bird
166. My Summer Vacation Plans
167. What Was the Best Day of This School Year? Why?
168. Would You Rather Be In School or On Summer Vacation?
169. How to Make the Best Ice Cream Sundae
170. All About My Dad
171. Should You Have Homework Over Summer Break?
172. Describe the Perfect Summer Day
173. Write a Story About the 4th of July
174. All About the US Flag
175. Would You Rather Go to a Lake or a Beach?
176. How to Catch a Fish
177. What Would Happen if Kids Ran the World?
178. What Will You Miss About This School Year?
179. Where Will You Travel This Summer?
180. What Do You Want to Learn Next Year?
I hope you enjoy this packet. Please message me if you have any questions.
Follow me on facebook for exclusive sneak peaks and freebies!